Millisecond Forums

Random trials within a block

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic35949.aspx

By raven - 2/6/2024

Hi Dave,

How would I go about presenting certain trials randomly for a given amount of times?

For example, if I want to run TrialA 3 times, TrialB 4 times, and TrialC 5 times, but each trial must be run in random order without being repeated for a total trial count of 12.

I looked at the Inquisit Language Reference for the block and trial elements, to see if this is possible, but the block element only seems to be able to run a certain number of trials sequentially, not randomly, as per the code example:

<block Block1>

/ trials=[1-12=noreplace(1-3=TrialA; 4-7=TrialB; 8-12=TrialC)]

</Block1>

Thank you!
By Dave - 2/6/2024

raven - 2/6/2024
Hi Dave,

How would I go about presenting certain trials randomly for a given amount of times?

For example, if I want to run TrialA 3 times, TrialB 4 times, and TrialC 5 times, but each trial must be run in random order without being repeated for a total trial count of 12.

I looked at the Inquisit Language Reference for the block and trial elements, to see if this is possible, but the block element only seems to be able to run a certain number of trials sequentially, not randomly, as per the code example:

<block Block1>

</Block1>

Thank you!

You set up your noreplace() pool with the desired proportions.

/ trials = [1-12 = noreplace(TrialA, TrialA, TrialA, TrialB, TrialB, TrialB, TrialB, TrialC, TrialC, TrialC, TrialC, TrialC)]

This is covered in the documentation, see the examples at https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/language/attributes/trials.htm

By raven - 2/6/2024

Dave - 2/6/2024
raven - 2/6/2024
Hi Dave,

<block Block1>

</Block1>

Thank you!

/ trials = [1-12 = noreplace(TrialA, TrialA, TrialA, TrialB, TrialB, TrialB, TrialB, TrialC, TrialC, TrialC, TrialC, TrialC)]

This is covered in the documentation, see the examples at https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/language/attributes/trials.htm

Thanks Dave,

That makes sense!

:)
By raven - 2/7/2024

Dave - 2/6/2024
raven - 2/6/2024
Hi Dave,

<block Block1>

</Block1>

Thank you!

Hi Dave,
I've been testing the above that you recommended, but not getting the desired result.

For example, with the following code, I would like TrialA's to be presented 12 times (e.g., TrialA1 and TrialA2 in the 3/4 ratio, so that TrialA1 is shown 9 times and TrialA2 is shown 3 times), Trial B's 12 times (with the respective 3/4 ratio), TrialC's 12 times (with the respective 1/2 ratio), and Trial D's 12 times (with the respective 1/2 ratio).

/ trials = [1-48 = noreplace(TrialA1, TrialA1, TrialA1, TrailA2, TrialB1, TrialB1, TrialB1, TrialB2, TrialC1, TrialC2, TrialD1, TrialD2)]

How is this possible?

Thanks!
By Dave - 2/7/2024

raven - 2/7/2024
Dave - 2/6/2024
raven - 2/6/2024
Hi Dave,

<block Block1>

</Block1>

Thank you!

Hi Dave,
I've been testing the above that you recommended, but not getting the desired result.

For example, with the following code, I would like TrialA's to be presented 12 times (e.g., TrialA1 and TrialA2 in the 3/4 ratio, so that TrialA1 is shown 9 times and TrialA2 is shown 3 times), Trial B's 12 times (with the respective 3/4 ratio), TrialC's 12 times (with the respective 1/2 ratio), and Trial D's 12 times (with the respective 1/2 ratio).

/ trials = [1-48 = noreplace(TrialA1, TrialA1, TrialA1, TrailA2, TrialB1, TrialB1, TrialB1, TrialB2, TrialC1, TrialC2, TrialD1, TrialD2)]

How is this possible?

Thanks!

You have 12 entries in the pool. 48/12 = 4, .i.e. each entry stands for 4 trials. You'll get 3 x 4 = 12 TrialA1, 1 x 4 = 4 = TrialA2, 3 x 4 = 12 TrialB1, 1 x 4 = TrialB2, 4 x TrialC1, 4 x TrialC2, 4 x TrialD1, and 4 x TrialD2.

If you want something else, adjust accordingly.
By raven - 2/7/2024

Dave - 2/7/2024
raven - 2/7/2024
Dave - 2/6/2024
raven - 2/6/2024
Hi Dave,

<block Block1>

</Block1>

Thank you!

Hi Dave,

How is this possible?

Thanks!

You have 12 entries in the pool. 48/12 = 4, .i.e. each entry stands for 4 trials. You'll get 3 x 4 = 12 TrialA1, 1 x 4 = 4 = TrialA2, 3 x 4 = 12 TrialB1, 1 x 4 = TrialB2, 4 x TrialC1, 4 x TrialC2, 4 x TrialD1, and 4 x TrialD2.

If you want something else, adjust accordingly.

Thanks Dave