Random trials within a block

Author
raven
Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Dave,

How would I go about presenting certain trials randomly for a given amount of times?

For example, if I want to run TrialA 3 times, TrialB 4 times, and TrialC 5 times, but each trial must be run in random order without being repeated for a total trial count of 12.

I looked at the Inquisit Language Reference for the block and trial elements, to see if this is possible, but the block element only seems to be able to run a certain number of trials sequentially, not randomly, as per the code example:

<block Block1>

/ trials=[1-12=noreplace(1-3=TrialA; 4-7=TrialB; 8-12=TrialC)]

</Block1>

Thank you!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
raven - 2/6/2024
Hi Dave,

How would I go about presenting certain trials randomly for a given amount of times?

For example, if I want to run TrialA 3 times, TrialB 4 times, and TrialC 5 times, but each trial must be run in random order without being repeated for a total trial count of 12.

I looked at the Inquisit Language Reference for the block and trial elements, to see if this is possible, but the block element only seems to be able to run a certain number of trials sequentially, not randomly, as per the code example:

<block Block1>

</Block1>

Thank you!

You set up your noreplace() pool with the desired proportions.

/ trials = [1-12 = noreplace(TrialA, TrialA, TrialA, TrialB, TrialB, TrialB, TrialB, TrialC, TrialC, TrialC, TrialC, TrialC)]

This is covered in the documentation, see the examples at https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/language/attributes/trials.htm

raven
raven
Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)Respected Member (466 reputation)
Dave - 2/6/2024
raven - 2/6/2024
Hi Dave,

<block Block1>

</Block1>

Thank you!

/ trials = [1-12 = noreplace(TrialA, TrialA, TrialA, TrialB, TrialB, TrialB, TrialB, TrialC, TrialC, TrialC, TrialC, TrialC)]

This is covered in the documentation, see the examples at https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/language/attributes/trials.htm

Thanks Dave,

That makes sense!

:)
raven
raven
Dave - 2/6/2024
raven - 2/6/2024
Hi Dave,

<block Block1>

</Block1>

Thank you!

Hi Dave,
I've been testing the above that you recommended, but not getting the desired result.

For example, with the following code, I would like TrialA's to be presented 12 times (e.g., TrialA1 and TrialA2 in the 3/4 ratio, so that TrialA1 is shown 9 times and TrialA2 is shown 3 times), Trial B's 12 times (with the respective 3/4 ratio), TrialC's 12 times (with the respective 1/2 ratio), and Trial D's 12 times (with the respective 1/2 ratio).

/ trials = [1-48 = noreplace(TrialA1, TrialA1, TrialA1, TrailA2, TrialB1, TrialB1, TrialB1, TrialB2, TrialC1, TrialC2, TrialD1, TrialD2)]

How is this possible?

Thanks!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
raven - 2/7/2024
Dave - 2/6/2024
raven - 2/6/2024
Hi Dave,

<block Block1>

</Block1>

Thank you!

Hi Dave,
I've been testing the above that you recommended, but not getting the desired result.

For example, with the following code, I would like TrialA's to be presented 12 times (e.g., TrialA1 and TrialA2 in the 3/4 ratio, so that TrialA1 is shown 9 times and TrialA2 is shown 3 times), Trial B's 12 times (with the respective 3/4 ratio), TrialC's 12 times (with the respective 1/2 ratio), and Trial D's 12 times (with the respective 1/2 ratio).

/ trials = [1-48 = noreplace(TrialA1, TrialA1, TrialA1, TrailA2, TrialB1, TrialB1, TrialB1, TrialB2, TrialC1, TrialC2, TrialD1, TrialD2)]

How is this possible?

Thanks!

You have 12 entries in the pool. 48/12 = 4, .i.e. each entry stands for 4 trials. You'll get 3 x 4 = 12 TrialA1, 1 x 4 = 4 = TrialA2, 3 x 4 = 12 TrialB1, 1 x 4 = TrialB2, 4 x TrialC1, 4 x TrialC2, 4 x TrialD1, and 4 x TrialD2.

If you want something else, adjust accordingly.

raven
raven
Dave - 2/7/2024
raven - 2/7/2024
Dave - 2/6/2024
raven - 2/6/2024
Hi Dave,

<block Block1>

</Block1>

Thank you!

Hi Dave,

How is this possible?

Thanks!

You have 12 entries in the pool. 48/12 = 4, .i.e. each entry stands for 4 trials. You'll get 3 x 4 = 12 TrialA1, 1 x 4 = 4 = TrialA2, 3 x 4 = 12 TrialB1, 1 x 4 = TrialB2, 4 x TrialC1, 4 x TrialC2, 4 x TrialD1, and 4 x TrialD2.

If you want something else, adjust accordingly.

Thanks Dave

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search