Millisecond Forums

Help Needed: Randomizing Survey Order in Inquisit

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic36218.aspx

By EN - 5/19/2024

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Inquisit and need help with randomizing the order of surveys for each respondent. Here’s what I want to achieve:

Respondents read an explanation followed by a training phase.
They then complete N surveys. Each survey consists of 3 surveypages presented in a fixed order.
I want to randomize the order of these N surveys for each respondent. I’ve seen references to using <batch> and <trial> commands, and suggestions about storing each survey in different .iqx files, but I'm not sure how to proceed, especially with more than 20 surveys.

Attached is an example with 2 surveys, currently in the fixed order: Explanation → Training → Survey 1 → Survey 2. I need to randomize the order of Survey 1 and Survey 2.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
By Dave - 5/20/2024

EN - 5/20/2024
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Inquisit and need help with randomizing the order of surveys for each respondent. Here’s what I want to achieve:

They then complete N surveys. Each survey consists of 3 surveypages presented in a fixed order.
I want to randomize the order of these N surveys for each respondent. I’ve seen references to using <batch> and <trial> commands, and suggestions about storing each survey in different .iqx files, but I'm not sure how to proceed, especially with more than 20 surveys.

Attached is an example with 2 surveys, currently in the fixed order: Explanation → Training → Survey 1 → Survey 2. I need to randomize the order of Survey 1 and Survey 2.

<survey> elements are special types of <block> elements. You randomize them just like any other kind of block, i.e. via the <expt> element's /blocks attribute.

<expt example>
/ blocks = [1 = survey.INTRO; 2-3 = noreplace(survey.SCENARIO_01, survey.SCENARIO_02)]
</expt>
By EN - 5/20/2024

Dave - 5/20/2024
EN - 5/20/2024
Hi everyone,

<survey> elements are special types of <block> elements. You randomize them just like any other kind of block, i.e. via the <expt> element's /blocks attribute.

<expt example>
/ blocks = [1 = survey.INTRO; 2-3 = noreplace(survey.SCENARIO_01, survey.SCENARIO_02)]
</expt>

Thank you for your prompt response!
I'm glad I asked. That was simpler than I thought, and it's doing exactly what I needed.