Help Needed: Randomizing Survey Order in Inquisit

Author
EN
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Inquisit and need help with randomizing the order of surveys for each respondent. Here’s what I want to achieve:

Respondents read an explanation followed by a training phase.
They then complete N surveys. Each survey consists of 3 surveypages presented in a fixed order.
I want to randomize the order of these N surveys for each respondent. I’ve seen references to using <batch> and <trial> commands, and suggestions about storing each survey in different .iqx files, but I'm not sure how to proceed, especially with more than 20 surveys.

Attached is an example with 2 surveys, currently in the fixed order: Explanation → Training → Survey 1 → Survey 2. I need to randomize the order of Survey 1 and Survey 2.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Attachments
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
EN - 5/20/2024
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Inquisit and need help with randomizing the order of surveys for each respondent. Here’s what I want to achieve:

They then complete N surveys. Each survey consists of 3 surveypages presented in a fixed order.
I want to randomize the order of these N surveys for each respondent. I’ve seen references to using <batch> and <trial> commands, and suggestions about storing each survey in different .iqx files, but I'm not sure how to proceed, especially with more than 20 surveys.

Attached is an example with 2 surveys, currently in the fixed order: Explanation → Training → Survey 1 → Survey 2. I need to randomize the order of Survey 1 and Survey 2.

<survey> elements are special types of <block> elements. You randomize them just like any other kind of block, i.e. via the <expt> element's /blocks attribute.

<expt example>
/ blocks = [1 = survey.INTRO; 2-3 = noreplace(survey.SCENARIO_01, survey.SCENARIO_02)]
</expt>

EN
EN
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 5/20/2024
EN - 5/20/2024
Hi everyone,

<survey> elements are special types of <block> elements. You randomize them just like any other kind of block, i.e. via the <expt> element's /blocks attribute.

<expt example>
/ blocks = [1 = survey.INTRO; 2-3 = noreplace(survey.SCENARIO_01, survey.SCENARIO_02)]
</expt>

Thank you for your prompt response!
I'm glad I asked. That was simpler than I thought, and it's doing exactly what I needed.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search