Millisecond Forums

How to timestamp button presses on ?

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic36225.aspx

By EN - 5/20/2024

Hello

I am using <radiobuttons> within <surveypage> to collect responses from our participants. I wonder if there is a way to record the time when radiobutton is pressed, and output such timestamps to the *.iqdat files? The idea is to estimate how much time respondents spent considering each item (<radiobuttons>), to screen out unusually quick respondents.

Currently, I have multiple <surveypage> grouped under <survey>. When things are organized that way, the 'latency' field of all <radiobuttons> that are embedded in the <survey> get the same value, which I believe is the time the respondent spent on that survey, from when the survey was displayed on screen until the respondent presses the 'Next' button.

I've tried to group the <surveypages> under <block>: Indeed, the *.iqdat files are generated in "long" format -- with one line per <radiobuttons> -- but the 'latency' values for all <radiobuttons> grouped in the <block> still get the same value.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!
By Dave - 5/21/2024

EN - 5/21/2024
Hello

I am using <radiobuttons> within <surveypage> to collect responses from our participants. I wonder if there is a way to record the time when radiobutton is pressed, and output such timestamps to the *.iqdat files? The idea is to estimate how much time respondents spent considering each item (<radiobuttons>), to screen out unusually quick respondents.

Currently, I have multiple <surveypage> grouped under <survey>. When things are organized that way, the 'latency' field of all <radiobuttons> that are embedded in the <survey> get the same value, which I believe is the time the respondent spent on that survey, from when the survey was displayed on screen until the respondent presses the 'Next' button.

I've tried to group the <surveypages> under <block>: Indeed, the *.iqdat files are generated in "long" format -- with one line per <radiobuttons> -- but the 'latency' values for all <radiobuttons> grouped in the <block> still get the same value.

No, there is no way to get individual timestamps. The latency for a surveypage is the time the entire page, including all questions on it, is submitted, i.e. when its "next" button is pressed. When you have multiple questions on a page, the participant can answer them in any order, can go back and forth between them and revise responses as often as s/he wishes, so individual timestamps wouldn't really make sense.
By EN - 5/21/2024

Dave - 5/21/2024
EN - 5/21/2024
Hello

No, there is no way to get individual timestamps. The latency for a surveypage is the time the entire page, including all questions on it, is submitted, i.e. when its "next" button is pressed. When you have multiple questions on a page, the participant can answer them in any order, can go back and forth between them and revise responses as often as s/he wishes, so individual timestamps wouldn't really make sense.

I see. Thanks, Dave!