How to timestamp button presses on ?

Author
EN
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello

I am using <radiobuttons> within <surveypage> to collect responses from our participants. I wonder if there is a way to record the time when radiobutton is pressed, and output such timestamps to the *.iqdat files? The idea is to estimate how much time respondents spent considering each item (<radiobuttons>), to screen out unusually quick respondents.

Currently, I have multiple <surveypage> grouped under <survey>. When things are organized that way, the 'latency' field of all <radiobuttons> that are embedded in the <survey> get the same value, which I believe is the time the respondent spent on that survey, from when the survey was displayed on screen until the respondent presses the 'Next' button.

I've tried to group the <surveypages> under <block>: Indeed, the *.iqdat files are generated in "long" format -- with one line per <radiobuttons> -- but the 'latency' values for all <radiobuttons> grouped in the <block> still get the same value.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
EN - 5/21/2024
Hello

I am using <radiobuttons> within <surveypage> to collect responses from our participants. I wonder if there is a way to record the time when radiobutton is pressed, and output such timestamps to the *.iqdat files? The idea is to estimate how much time respondents spent considering each item (<radiobuttons>), to screen out unusually quick respondents.

Currently, I have multiple <surveypage> grouped under <survey>. When things are organized that way, the 'latency' field of all <radiobuttons> that are embedded in the <survey> get the same value, which I believe is the time the respondent spent on that survey, from when the survey was displayed on screen until the respondent presses the 'Next' button.

I've tried to group the <surveypages> under <block>: Indeed, the *.iqdat files are generated in "long" format -- with one line per <radiobuttons> -- but the 'latency' values for all <radiobuttons> grouped in the <block> still get the same value.

No, there is no way to get individual timestamps. The latency for a surveypage is the time the entire page, including all questions on it, is submitted, i.e. when its "next" button is pressed. When you have multiple questions on a page, the participant can answer them in any order, can go back and forth between them and revise responses as often as s/he wishes, so individual timestamps wouldn't really make sense.

EN
EN
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 5/21/2024
EN - 5/21/2024
Hello

No, there is no way to get individual timestamps. The latency for a surveypage is the time the entire page, including all questions on it, is submitted, i.e. when its "next" button is pressed. When you have multiple questions on a page, the participant can answer them in any order, can go back and forth between them and revise responses as often as s/he wishes, so individual timestamps wouldn't really make sense.

I see. Thanks, Dave!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search