Displaying subjectid and email

Author
jolanda
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Dear all,

I have been reading through the posts here to figure out some of the following questions but unsuccessfully thus far and I hope some of you might be able to help me out. We are conducting a study including an IAT, a semantic differential and a survey with Inquisit 4 web. The whole experiment knows a before/after design and will thus be conducted at 2 different time points with the same participants. I am trying to figure out some way to identify subjects across the two time conditions without jeopardising their privacy.

My first hunch was to let participants note their subject ids from the first experiment and then automatically generate emails to them with this subject id number. This leads me to the following questions:

1)  Is there some way to display subject id to participants in Inquisit?

2) Is there some way in inquisit to generate automatic e-mails?

The other option I have found so far is to let respondents enter their own personal chosen number and keep them for the second time but this of course has some downsides since it requires them to act and safeguard the number...

I hope you can either refer me to the right place where I can find this information or help me out here.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

1)  Is there some way to display subject id to participants in Inquisit?

Yes. There is the script.subjectid property as detailed in the documentation.

2) Is there some way in inquisit to generate automatic e-mails?

No.

However, you should simply distribute *personalized* links to your participants, which include a unique subject id of your choosing as URL query parameter and have Inquisit use that. See the "How to Interoperate Inquisit Web with Online Survey Packages" topic in the documentation for details on this.

jolanda
jolanda
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)

Dear Dave

Thanks much, it worked out. I now used a simple email form. However, participants now inform me that their email addresses are too long and they can therefore not finish the task (as this is the last form). I have used:

<textbox email>

/ caption= "Email"

/ mask = emailaddress

</textbox>

Are you by any chance familiar with this? As far as I can see I have not limited the number of characters...

Thanks in advance, Jolanda

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

Are you by any chance familiar with this?

No, never heard of this. Can you provide examples of such email addresses?

jolanda
jolanda

Thanks for the quick reply!

Well so far I had two reports of this (out of 60 participants). The email addresses concerned:

first letter (one) dot last name (ranging from 7 till 10 characters) @umail.leidenuniv.nl (twice)

and the other concerned a gmail address composed of 15 letters@gmail.com (once)

Hope you can help me out,

Thanks Jolanda

Dave
Dave

@umail.leidenuniv.nl (twice)

What does "twice" mean? Can you please spell this out as a complete address (don't use real name, make something up)?

jolanda
jolanda

Well twice means that it concerned an email adress with @umail.leidenuniv.nl two times and the other was a gmail address.

The umail address both times concerned a format like this:

o.lindenberg@umail.leidenuniv.nl

The gmail address concerned a first and a last name attached, for example:

jolandalindenberg@gmail.com

(both are non-existent)

Thanks, Jolanda

Dave
Dave

Thanks for the concrete examples and clarification. Indeed, the length of those addresses appears to be the issue. You should be able to avoid this by increasing the textbox size:

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1=mypage]
</block>

<surveypage mypage>
/ questions = [1=email]
</surveypage>

<textbox email>
/ caption= "Email"
/ mask = emailaddress
/ textboxsize = (40%, 5%)
</textbox>

jolanda
jolanda

Thanks! that solved it!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search