Setting Seed for random sequence

Author
luffy
Respected Member (388 reputation)Respected Member (388 reputation)Respected Member (388 reputation)Respected Member (388 reputation)Respected Member (388 reputation)Respected Member (388 reputation)Respected Member (388 reputation)Respected Member (388 reputation)Respected Member (388 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I dont't think this is possible but is there a way to set a seed for inquisits internal random number generator?

In our experiment we draw positions for pictures, times until the stimuli are presented, etc. randomly from lists. Now we would like to test whether the sequence in which this happens has an effect on the results. The easiest way to implement this should be to set the random seed to different values.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

I dont't think this is possible but is there a way to set a seed for inquisits internal random number generator?

You are correct, it's not possible at present. You'll have to settle for a different approach such as storing the random sequence and then reproducing it via select=sequence.

Andrew Papale
Andrew Papale
Partner Member (807 reputation)Partner Member (807 reputation)Partner Member (807 reputation)Partner Member (807 reputation)Partner Member (807 reputation)Partner Member (807 reputation)Partner Member (807 reputation)Partner Member (807 reputation)Partner Member (807 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 11/27/2013

You are correct, it's not possible at present. You'll have to settle for a different approach such as storing the random sequence and then reproducing it via select=sequence.

Just doing a quick check, Matlab automatically sets the random seed to the same value when the program starts up requiring you to 'shuffle' the random seed (I presume, for reproducibility).  Am I correct in assuming that Inquisit picks a random seed each time and this shuffle operation is not necessary?

Thanks,
Andrew

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
AndrewPapale - 4/11/2023
Dave - 11/27/2013

Just doing a quick check, Matlab automatically sets the random seed to the same value when the program starts up requiring you to 'shuffle' the random seed (I presume, for reproducibility).  Am I correct in assuming that Inquisit picks a random seed each time and this shuffle operation is not necessary?

Thanks,
Andrew

> Am I correct in assuming that Inquisit picks a random seed each time and this shuffle operation is not necessary?

Yes, that is correct.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search