Combining data files

Author
Ali
Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I collected data and now I have a large Inquisit Data File (.iqdat). Then I collected some more data in a separate iqdat file. I wanted to combine the two files but I could not find a 'merge' function. I then tried to do it manually, but I found I could do only a single 'Add Row Below' at a time. Is there a more efficient way to either combine data files, or add multiple rows at a time? Thanks!

Ali

Tags
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
See the "How to Combine Multiple Data Files into a Single File" topic in the Inquisit documentation.

Ali
Ali
Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)
Thanks Dave. I checked it but it does not seem to work properly. I might be missing something. I open File 1, and then Merge Data Files and select File 2. However, when I save I end up with a MergedData file that is an exact copy of File 2 (but data from File 1 is not there). Could you please tell me if I'm missing something? (See attached files.) Thanks again. 

Ali

Attachments
File 1.iqdat (876 views, 39.00 KB)
File 2.iqdat (870 views, 2.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
- Open Inquisit (don't open any of the data files, just the application).
- Select File -> Merge Data Files
- Mark both files and hit open.
- Done.

Attachments
MergedData.iqdat (837 views, 41.00 KB)
Ali
Ali
Thanks Dave! That did the trick...

Ali

ashaw
ashaw
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
If I have a survey running at the end of an experiment - is there any way to get the survey data to be written to the same file as the experiment data from the inception so that merging files isn't required?
Thanks!

ashaw
ashaw
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Additionally, when the survey data uses a drop down menu to ask participants to choose a country, the survey data file returns a two letter abbreviation for the chosen country. The problem is that these abbreviations don't match standard country abbreviations. Is there a way to fix this?

Dave
Dave
#1: You can run the <surveypage>s via a <block> element's /trials instead of using <survey>. A <surveypage> is a type of <trial>.

#2: Adjust the respective <dropdown>'s /optionvalues according to your preferences.

ashaw
ashaw
Running the survey pages as trials in a block works perfectly except that the numbering and Next buttons are not correct.
So when I ran it as a survey, the numbering continued over to the second survey page as 5,6,7. When I run it in a block it numbers the instructions and then also starts the question numbering over as 1,2,3. 
In block form, the buttons at the bottom of the first survey page says 'Finish' instead of 'Next' as it did when I used survey format. 
Is there anyway to fix the formatting when using the block element with survey pages as trials?
Thank you for the help!

Dave
Dave
That's how surveypages are supposed to behave when run as trials in a <block>. To adjust navigation button labeling, see the documentation for the <surveypage> element's /nextlabel and -- here -- /finishlabel attributes.

As for question and page numbering, you may turn off automatic numbering via /showpagenumbers and /showquestionnumbers attributes and proceed to number your questions manually.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search