Sentences ranking on one display

Author
pawelstrojny
Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, I found a topic from about 2004 which states that it is not possible but maybe after few years it became...

So, I have 20 sentences and want to ask participants to rank them on a basis of their importance from 1 to 20.

Is that possible to do that on the one display? For example by allowing participants to write the number next to each sentence or (even better) by dragging&dropping sentences. Or maybe by other way.

Basically I need to have all sentences on one screen and let participants to rank them somehow.

I'll be glad if you can help me.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
If you want to build a drag & drop mechanic, study the "Tower of London" script available from the Task Library. Be warned: This isn't trivial.

If you want to go with the "assign numbers" option, consider using <surveypage>s with a bunch of <caption>s, <textbox>es, <dropdown>s plus validation logic. See e.g. http://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost7561.aspx & https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost7524.aspx

Edited 10 Years Ago by Dave
pawelstrojny
pawelstrojny
Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)Guru (6.3K reputation)
Thanks Dave,

This solution https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic7520.aspx#bm7524 seems fine to me.

Because my sentences are many and quite long they don't fit the screen, I decided to reduce the ranking to top10, so participants are asked to rank the first 10 sentences (out of 20).

In that case your "demo" script wouldn't work because it demands every one's sentence appearance, right?

Do you have any idea how to reverse that demand? I mean, to change 20 "contains(values.rankstring,"sentencenumber")==true &&" into something like: "does not contain "sentencenumber" more than one"

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
I don't understand the question, I'm afraid.

The scripts I referred you to enforce that every available rank (1,2,3 and 4 in the examples) is assigned *exactly once*.

pawelstrojny
pawelstrojny
Yes and let's say that we want to force participants to choose only two of four (e.g. 1 & 2 or 1 & 3 but no 1 & 1 nor 1, 4, & 3).

In that case I can't use your script directly because in it participant have to "use" every answer exactly once. I need to change it to let participants to choose only two of four answers (no matter which) and not to repeat the answer chosen before.

Do you understand now?

Dave
Dave
Yes, understood. Thanks for the clarification. Should be doable. However, here's what I don't "get": If you are ranking 2 out of 4 elements, you only have *two ranks* to assign (1 and 2). What sense does it make to allow for something like 1 and 3? Obviously, there *is* an element in this case with *implicit* rank 2 -- otherwise you would not have been able to assign rank 3 to another element.

pawelstrojny
pawelstrojny
Now I understand what you don't :)

It's because I reversed "roles" in your script, because of my English limitation it would be easier to clarify it on the example; let's say we have four things (apple, orange, strawberry, apricot) and instruction says "Choose two most liked and rank that two", I'm not interested in the two less liked.

In order to do that I prepared two"dropdown" elements, first says "The most liked fruit" and the second "The second most liked fruit" and in options I have four fruits. My intention is to let participants choose one as "most liked", another one as "second" and to leave the rest unranked. As you see there is the reversion - what was the options in original script (Most liked, Second...) is the content of the "question" here and vice versa.

I decided to reverse it because it should be easier to choose between sentences than numbers in "dropdown" elements, but if it is difficult - I can go back to the original conception.

That's exactly my situation (but 20 sentences and participants need to rank 10 most important).
Dave
Dave
Well, the original (assign rank to object) would be much easier (and thus preferable) to implement than the reverse (assign object to rank).

Dave
Dave
For the sake of completeness, though, if you absolutely *must* go down the other route, something along the lines of

<values>
/ rankstring = ""
/ validranking = false
</values>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1=mypage]
</block>

<text debug>
/ items = ("<%values.rankstring%>")
/ position = (50%, 5%)
</text>

<surveypage mypage>
/ stimulusframes = [1=debug]
/ questions = [1=r01; 2=r02]
/ ontrialbegin = [values.rankstring=""]
/ ontrialend = [values.rankstring=concat(concat(values.rankstring,dropdown.r01.response),dropdown.r02.response)]
/ ontrialend = [if (
    length(values.rankstring) == 2 &&
    length(replaceall(values.rankstring, dropdown.r01.response, "")) == 1 &&
    length(replaceall(values.rankstring, dropdown.r02.response, "")) == 1
    ) values.validranking = true else values.validranking = false]
/ branch = [if ( values.validranking == false) surveypage.mypage]
</surveypage>

<dropdown r01>
/ caption = "Rank 1"
/ options = ("Object A", "Object B", "Object C", "Object D")
/ optionvalues = ("A", "B", "C", "D")
/ required = true
</dropdown>

<dropdown r02>
/ caption = "Rank 2"
/ options = ("Object A", "Object B", "Object C", "Object D")
/ optionvalues = ("A", "B", "C", "D")
/ required = true
</dropdown>

should be workable.

pawelstrojny
pawelstrojny
Thank you,

One more question - is that possible to change the script in the way that if participant makes mistake (e.g. skip one question) the script will communicate that but save the other answers? I expect to be really annoying when sb find that 19 answers are deleted and he must do it again :/

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search