Query parameters to carry over subject ID

Author
BellEmess
Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there,

I've set up a study with two parts; Part 1 is a survey in Qualtrics and Part 2 is a GNAT in Inquisit Web 3. In my pilot test, I followed the instructions for both packages to link between them, using a unique code that the participant entered in Qualtrics, which was carried over to Inquisit as a query parameter and recorded as part of the file name. This worked perfectly, but after changing some details after the pilot study, its no longer working.

I'm not sure where the problem lies. Some clues which might assist with working out the problem:
1. The code length should be 6 characters long (alphanumeric), yet Inquisit is recording an 8 digit code, which is always 11111111
2. When I use the piped text for the participant code by itself (not added to the end of the web address), it returns the code that I previously entered. So, the piped text itself is working as expected.
3. The modified launch URL for Inquisit looks like this (with the query parameter added) to the end: 
http://research.millisecond.com/ianrt/1BATCHtestfile.web?Participantcode=${q://QID181/ChoiceTextEntryValue}
4. If I go through the survey myself and enter the code 'TEST14' this is what the forwarding URL looks like:
5. When I click through to Inquisit, this is what the URL looks like:

So, although the embedded data seems to work in Qualtrics and is dynamically attaching the participant code at the end of the URL for Inquisit, Iinquisit does not seem to be receiving that information.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be happening? I'm stumped, given that it worked perfectly last time. I've probably missed a minor step along the way but I can't work out where I've gone wrong. 

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
This must be an issue w/ Qualtrics not forwarding the parameter properly. If you call the launch page directly with the query parameter set to 'TEST14'

http://research.millisecond.com/ianrt/1BATCHtestfile.web?Participantcode=TEST14

you will find that Inquisit uses and records the given parameter value just fine (nothing is changed to '11111111').

Please check the URL settings in Qualtrics. I'm 99% sure you've actually instructed it to redirect to

http://research.millisecond.com/ianrt/1BATCHtestfile.web?Participantcode=11111111

instead of properly piping the 6-character alphanumerical code to the redirection URL.

BellEmess
BellEmess
Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks for the reply. I checked the URL settings and they were fine, and for some reason if I copied and pasted the URL I specified into a different survey ending option (redirect participants automatically instead of providing them with a link to Inquisit), it works perfectly. So I've found a different solution to the problem, although I can't explain why one works and the other doesn't! 

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Glad you found an alternative, working solution. Re. the original issue: It's still a problem with Qualtrics. Note that, when you provide a link in HTML, there are *two* things you need to consider: (1) The clickable link "text" that's displayed on the page and (2) the actual, underlying URL the link text refers to (which you can review by examining the respective <a href =...> tag in the HTML's source). They are distinct concepts (see http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_links.asp ), and (2) is what matters.

So, what likely happened in your case is that Qualtrics was set up to pipe the identifier into the link *text* only (1 above), but *not* into the actual URL / link *target* (2 above).

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search