providing reaction time feedback to respondents

Author
cathryn.rebak
Associate Member (236 reputation)Associate Member (236 reputation)Associate Member (236 reputation)Associate Member (236 reputation)Associate Member (236 reputation)Associate Member (236 reputation)Associate Member (236 reputation)Associate Member (236 reputation)Associate Member (236 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I want to make my study more like a game to make respondents more motivated to react to stimuli quickly and accurately. 
I was wondering if it's possible to do this after every trial, or at the end of the experiment where i can provide customised feedback about respondents' 'reflexive ability level' or something (e.g. if their mean RT is lower than XXX, then they get 35 points etc).

Thanks,

Cathryn
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Yes, you can do that. Inquisit has a number of built-in properties (meanlatency, etc.) which you can report. You can also calculate anything that's not built-in yourself using <values> and <expressions>. Those properties, values, etc. can be reported back to participants in any way you like. A simple example:

<values>
/ points = 0
</values>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1-10 = mytrial; 11 = feedback]
</block>

<trial mytrial>
/ pretrialpause = 500
/ stimulusframes = [1=mytext]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<trial feedback>
/ ontrialbegin = [if (trial.mytrial.meanlatency <= 300) values.points = 35]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (trial.mytrial.meanlatency > 300) values.points = 20]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (trial.mytrial.meanlatency > 600) values.points = 5]
/ stimulusframes = [1=feedbacktext]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text mytext>
/ items = ("Press the spacebar as quickly as possible.")
</text>

<text feedbacktext>
/ items = ("Your mean response time was <%trial.mytrial.meanlatency%> milliseconds. You win <%values.points%> points.")
</text>

For more elaborate examples, you can check out the scripts available in the Test Library, virtually all of which provide some sort of feedback.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search