How to do branching at the beginning to run two different experiments?

How to do branching at the beginning to run two different experiments?...
Author
MWirth
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello

Currently I am trying to program an n-back task for a study. We want to test two different age groups and to adjust the difficulty: The older ones should only do the 2-back task and the younger ones only the 3-back task. At the beginning we want to ask the age group (with a checkbox)  and depending on their answer they should run a whole different experiment (different instructions, practice blocks &  trainingsblocks). I searched on the "Inquisit Help Page but couldn't find any clear instruction to write the syntax. 

By now, i  have the checkbox and the survey page:  

<checkboxes agegroup>
/ caption="Bitte waehlen Sie ihre Altersgruppe:"
/fontstyle = ("Arial", 3.05%, true, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/ required = true
/ options=("20-35", "60-75")
/ range = (1, 1)
/ position= (30, 50)
/responsefontstyle = ("Arial", 3.05%, true, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
</checkboxes>

<surveypage Start>
/questions= [1=Agegroup]
/ nextlabel = ("Weiter")
/ navigationbuttonfontstyle = ("Arial", 3.05%, true, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ navigationbuttonsize = (10%, 2%)
/ nextbuttonposition = (60%, 70%)
/ showpagenumbers = false
/ showbackbutton = false
/ showquestionnumbers = false
/ branch = [if(checkboxes.agegroup.response =="20-35") ???]
/ branch = [if(checkboxes.agegroup.response =="60-75") ???]

??? ---> this is the part where I am wondering which "trail" I should take. Depending on the age group the participants have to work either one of two groups of blocks in a specific order (InstructionsYoung, PracticeYoung, TrainingYoung /// or: InstructionsOld, PracticeOld, TrainingOld) 

Is it possible to create two different experiments and show the page before and select the experiment type after answering the question or do I have to do the branching in one experiment?

I hope my descriptions are clear enough and that somebody can help me. Thank you! :)

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
The best way to do this is in a single <expt>. Specify *all* the <block>s (for both groups) in its /blocks attribute. The 1st block is where you ask your age question. Then use /skip attributes in the remaining <blocks> to only run those that apply. Simple example:

<expt>
/ blocks = [1=groupselection; 2=group1block1; 3=group1block2; 4=group2block1; 5=group2block2; 6=group2block3]
</expt>

<block groupselection>
/ trials = [1=groupquestion]
</block>

<surveypage groupquestion>
/ questions = [1=group]
</surveypage>

<radiobuttons group>
/ options = ("Group 1", "Group 2")
/ optionvalues = ("1", "2")
</radiobuttons>

<block group1block1>
/ skip = [radiobuttons.group.response!="1"]
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<block group1block2>
/ skip = [radiobuttons.group.response!="1"]
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<block group2block1>
/ skip = [radiobuttons.group.response!="2"]
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<block group2block2>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<block group2block3>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<trial mytrial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=mytext]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text mytext>
/ items = ("This is block <%script.currentblock%>")
</text>

Hope this helps.

MWirth
MWirth
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thank you very much for your quick help, now I have an idea how to structure the syntax. I'll try and hopefully I'll make it work :)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search