Shortening the WCST/data interpretation

Author
CAA
Partner Member (535 reputation)Partner Member (535 reputation)Partner Member (535 reputation)Partner Member (535 reputation)Partner Member (535 reputation)Partner Member (535 reputation)Partner Member (535 reputation)Partner Member (535 reputation)Partner Member (535 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Greetings,
Due to time constraints, I will shorten the WCST to the same length as the simplified WCST.

The default of the Simple WCST is:

<value>
/cstotaltrials = 128
/cstotalblocks = 2
/correctstreakthreshold= 4
/picsize 30%
</values>

The default of the WCST is:
<values>
/cstotaltrials = 128
/cstotalblocks = 2
/correctstreakthreshold = 10
/setmaintainthreshold = 5
/picsize = 30%
</values>

My question is, what is the setmaintainthreshold, and what should I set it to? I will set the correctstreakthreshold to 4, similar to the simple WCST.
It is defined as: Number of consecutive correct responses after which an incorrect response is scored as a "Failure to maintain Set"

What does this variable do? I do not understand the definition.

Moreover, what is the difference between TotalError, PerseverativeError and FailureMaintainSet in the summary data?

Thanks in advance. Cheers.
CA

Tags
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
> My question is, what is the setmaintainthreshold, ...

"Failure to maintain set" means the *loss of the correct sorting rule during performance*. Suppose you have identified the current sorting rule to be "color". You respond correctly according to that rule for, say, 5 trials and then -- suddenly -- respond incorrectly, i.e., you "lost" or "forgot" or "failed to maintain" the sorting rule.

/setmaintainthreshold = 5

defines the *threshold*. After 5 consecutive correct responses -- just like in the example I gave above -- a sudden incorrect response is scored as a failure to maintain set. Setting

/setmaintainthreshold = 3

would score a sudden incorrect response after *3* consecutive correct responses as a failure to maintain set.

> and what should I set it to?

That is up to you and what you deem appropriate.

> Moreover, what is the difference between TotalError, PerseverativeError and FailureMaintainSet in the summary data?

The variables are explained in the script's comments.

Totalerror represents all incorrect responses across the task.

totalerror:                                            sums up all the incorrect responses across the task

The others represent different types / categories of errors.

Sum_PerseverativeError:                                sums up all error trials with values.perseverativeresponse = 1

where perseverativeresponse is defined as

PerseverativeResponse:                                1 = response is still in compliance with the old rule after a rule switch (and
                                                                              no response has been made yet that violates the old rule)
                                                                              0 = any other response

Note: Not every perseverative response is a perseverative error. Hence the bolded part.

We have already covered failure to maintain set above, which is defined as

Sum_FailureMaintainSet                                   keeps a total of the number of times a participants selects an incorrect card after having
                                                                                maintained a correct streak of 5 or higher (default)

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search