Conditional formatting for instruction timing?

Author
jessrh
Partner Member (973 reputation)Partner Member (973 reputation)Partner Member (973 reputation)Partner Member (973 reputation)Partner Member (973 reputation)Partner Member (973 reputation)Partner Member (973 reputation)Partner Member (973 reputation)Partner Member (973 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
For my Inquisit task, I want to allow participants to move through instruction slides only after a pre-set number of seconds. That is, I'd like participants to only be able to press the space bar to advance to the next set of instructions after a timing delay (for example, after 8 seconds of presentation). Is there a way to format my instructions such that participants can't skip through them? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, 

Jess

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
If you use standard instruction pages (<page> or <htmlpage> elements) displayed via /pre- and /postinstructions attributes, you can configure a minimum period via the <instruct> element's /wait attribute. The /wait attribute determines how long in milliseconds to wait before allowing the subject to move to the next instruction page. Thus specifying

<instruct>
/ wait = 8000
</instruct>

in your script will enforce a minimum display time of 8 seconds for any instruction page. Only then are participants able to move on to the next.

If, on the other hand, you intend to display your instructions via standard <trial> elements, you can use the <trial>'s /beginresponsetime attribute to enforce the minimum

<trial instructionstrial>
/ validresponse = (57)
/ beginresponsetime = 8000
</trial>

or alternatively using /isvalidresponse

<trial instructionstrial>
/ validresponse = (57)
/ isvalidresponse = [trial.instructionstrial.latency >= 8000]
</trial>
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...