Videos slow and freezing

Author
AnjaK
Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a problem showing videos with Inquisit 4. The script works, but the videos (.avi; 2.21 MB) are always preceded by a gray placeholder (appearing shortly before the video, for a different time in each trial) and the videos are very slow and keep freezing. I have downloaded the necessary codecs (for a Windows 7 32-bit system; also directshow codecs) and updated the driver of the graphic card. On a different (newer) computer, everything works fine. Is this likely related to the graphic card being too old (although it's not so old; NVIDIA GeForce8400) or could it also be something else?

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
All of the things you mention (codec, graphics driver, insufficient processing power) are potential causes. The specific symptom "slow & freezing" would point to either a remaining codec issue or insufficient performance *given* the way the AVIs are encoded. (AVI is a container format, i.e., the file extension alone says little about the actual video codec used). Trying to play back a HD-resolution video encoded with some modern codec (for which older graphics cards / drivers may not provide direct hardware support), can easily overwhelm an older system in terms of processing demands and lead to stuttering and/or apparent freezing.

I would try re-encoding the videos in question, possibly at a lower resolution and using a different codec, to see if this affects the play back performance on the system in question.

AnjaK
AnjaK
Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thank you! I lowered the resolution of the video and tried a number of different codecs and finally found one with which it worked (H.264(x264)).

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search