demo consent form disappearing when mouse moves

Author
laurenemberson
Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all-- I'm just starting out with Inquisit and I'm encountering a weird problem.  When I run the demo for the consent form, the correct screen shows up with the consent form, the two buttons and the scroll bar but the moment that I move my mouse, it disappears so I cannot click on anything.  I've tried some variations of this script and always have the same problems.  Any help will be greatly appreciated! 

I get an unexpected exception (screenshot attached) but I can't find any support on this error. 

Yours,
Inquisit n00b

https://www.millisecond.com/forums/uploads/images/8991add5-846b-4ddb-ae3e-00b4.png
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hmm, not sure what's causing this (particularly the disappearing elements upon mouse movement). A couple of things to try:

(1) Replace the existing <trial Consent> with the following alternate definition:

<trial Consent>
/inputdevice = mouse
/stimulusframes = [1 = Consent, agree, disagree]
/isvalidresponse = [trial.Consent.response == "agree" || trial.Consent.response == "disagree"]
/monkeyresponse = ("agree")
/ontrialend = [if (trial.Consent.response == "disagree") script.abort()]
</trial>

(2) Theorizing that the problem is somehow related to the HTML rendering, either temporarily remove the <html Consent> element from the script and <trial>, i.e.

<trial Consent>
/inputdevice = mouse
/stimulusframes = [1 = agree, disagree]
</trial>

or replace it with some other type of stimulus element (<text> or <picture>) for testing purposes:

<picture Consent>
/ items = ("SomeImageDisplayingSomeConsentInformation.jpg")
/position = (50%, 40%)
/ size = (70%, 70%)
</picture>

Let me know if any of that affects or changes the odd behavior you've observed with the original script. Thanks!

laurenemberson
laurenemberson
Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)
Hi Dave-- Thanks so much for your help!

I tried both of these but continue to have the same problem:  I replaced the trial definition and replicated the problem, I replaced the htm consent with a jpg as you suggested and the picture showed up in place of the consent form but then disappeared when I moved the mouse.  So weird.  

Even more bizarre is that I can display pictures without a problem in another script that I've been working on. Here I have the keyboard set to collect responses rather than the mouse, so maybe this is a problem with the mouse as a mechanism for collecting responses and not the htm rendering for some reason?  Do you have anything else that you would suggest? 
laurenemberson
laurenemberson
Maybe this helps. I just encountered another problem with Inquisit on my machine.  I ran the Attentional Blink test in the test library and it won't allow me to click continue on the mouse button after the first test.  Maybe it's related to the problem that I'm having displaying the consent?  Just throwing that out there. 

https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/v5/AttentionalBlink/SimpleAttentionalBlink.web

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Thanks for outlining your test results and the additional observations, particularly this one:

> "it won't allow me to click continue on the mouse button after the first test."

Are you, by any chance, running a somewhat older OSX version on your Mac, specifically OSX 10.9.x (as in 10.9.4 or 10.9.5)?

If so, you are probably hitting a known bug in the current Inquisit version affecting OSX 10.9, but not newer versions. The fix for that bug will be included in version 5.0.4.0, which should be out towards the end of this week or early next week.

If, however, you are not running OSX 10.9, could you please report the specific OSX version you are using? Thanks!

laurenemberson
laurenemberson
Ah yes that must be it. I still have 10.9.5.  I'll try upgrading my OS and see if that helps!  More anon.. 
laurenemberson
laurenemberson
It works!  Thanks Dave for all of your help!!  :) :) :) 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search