Data download to excel spreadsheet problem

Author
babicova.k
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello, 

This might be very trivial, but I have a problem with data in excel. I am downloading the data to excel spreadsheet, but the downloaded file when opened in numbers is empty. It works when I download it as inquisit file, so the data is there. Do you know what could be the problem? 

Thank you in advance. 

Katarina 
Tags
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
I just tried downloading a bunch of my own data files in Excel format (*.xlsx) and they worked fine (i.e., the files were not empty). Thus, I'm not sure whether the problem you are experiencing is due to:

- Something special about your data files, or
- Numbers acting strangely.

Several things you can do immediately to test:

- Try opening the *.xlsx in a different spreadsheet application, such as Microsoft Excel, LibreOffice or OpenOffice. The latter two are open source and available freely. Do any of those also display the files as empty?
- Numbers should be able to read / import the original *.iqdat files as well. Those are simple, tab-delimited text files, and any spreadsheet or statistical analysis application would generally be able to import such files. The only thing you may have to do for Numbers to accept the file(s) is to change the file extension from *.iqdat to *.txt or *.dat.
See e.g. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205391
- The same is true for the 3rd format option, i.e. you can also try downloading your files in CSV (comma-separated values) format. Numbers and other spreadsheet applications should be able to handle those without issue.

Hope this helps.

keira0607
keira0607
Associate Member (172 reputation)Associate Member (172 reputation)Associate Member (172 reputation)Associate Member (172 reputation)Associate Member (172 reputation)Associate Member (172 reputation)Associate Member (172 reputation)Associate Member (172 reputation)Associate Member (172 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hii,
Well, describing the root cause of the problem is quite difficult, as the data in your Excel file might have something special such as
·         Number format or the data is acting strangely.
·         File is not compatible with your Excel file extension
·         And lastly your Excel file gets corrupted
However, to fix this issues try to open the Excel files in different file format or else change the file extension.

Sometimes, the problem is seen due to the unsupported file extension of your Excel file to start getting this type of issues. To check the support of xlsx extension, go to 'My Computer'. Browse 'Tools >> Folder Options >> File Types'. Check if 'xlsx' extension is included there or not. If not, then rename this file and change '.xlsx' to '.xls' file extension.

Or else run the Open and Repair utility to repair Excel file if it gets corrupted.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search