How to randomize subjects in Inquisit web with an alphanumeric subject ID

How to randomize subjects in Inquisit web with an alphanumeric subject...
Author
James Gren
Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm planning to pass my participants from Qualtrics through to Inquisit Web 4, which I've previously done successfully, passing Qualtrics ResponseID through the URL.

So far, so good.

However, I've now run into a problem because in my next study I have 3 inquisit scripts that I want to run in different orders. Previously I've used the "/ subjects = (1 of 6)" format, but this doesn't work on the alphanumeric participant ResponseID code that Qualtrics generates. I can't work out how to assign a numeric code in Qualtrics, so any suggestions on how to get this randomization working would be helpful. The first two batch elements of my web file are below.

<batch>
/ file = "AMP_EXPL v4_48.iqx"
/ file = "AMP_IMPL v4_48.iqx"
/ file = "global.iqx"
/ file = "demographic.iqx"
/ subjects = (1 of 6)
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "global.iqx"
/ subjects = (2 of 6)
</batch>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
The solution is to switch the /groupassignment method to something else.

<batch>
/ file = "global.iqx"
/ subjects = (1 of 6)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "global.iqx"
/ subjects = (2 of 6)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
</batch>

Have the launch page provide a random or sequential group id (via the web experiment's settings).
Cf. https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic13856.aspx

If you don't want to or can't use the group id for assignment for some reason, you can also set

/ groupassignment = random
James Gren
James Gren
Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)Respected Member (412 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Brilliant! I'd been trying variations on that, but I think I'd tried "group" rather than "groupnumber".

In a related downstream problem, my IAT is also reliant on a group allocation, can I check that using the same addition of "/groupassignment = groupnumber" would also be an appropriate solution.

<variables>
/groupassignment = groupnumber
/ group = (1 of 4) (block1=CHpractice;
block2=PNpractice;block3=CHPNtestinstructions;block4=CHPNtest;block5=NPpractice;block6=CHNPtestinstructions;block7=CHNPtest)

(I'm aware that the variables block is depracated)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Yes, /groupassignment works identically in <batch>, <expt> and <variables>, i.e. you can use it in the same way.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search