Could not locate element.

Author
ash8787
Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am trying to have a brief break between my blocks. I have created the element and put that into the order of my experiment: 

<expt>
/blocks = [1=demographics; 2= instructions; 3=Practiceblock; 4=break; 5=naturalblock; 6=tallmanblock]
/subjects = (1 of 2)

<text Break>
/items = Break
/hjustify = Center
/size = (90%, 60%)
/position = (50%, 50%)
/valign = center
/select = Break
</text>

<item Break>
/ 1 = "Take a few moments break before beginning the next set of trials."
</item>

I have also attached my program. I want this "break" to show both after the practice block and after the naturalblock. I was testing this out just after the practice block to get it to work but I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. 

I appreciate any help!
Attachments
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
ash8787 - Thursday, August 17, 2017
I am trying to have a brief break between my blocks. I have created the element and put that into the order of my experiment: 

<expt>
/blocks = [1=demographics; 2= instructions; 3=Practiceblock; 4=break; 5=naturalblock; 6=tallmanblock]
/subjects = (1 of 2)

<text Break>
/items = Break
/hjustify = Center
/size = (90%, 60%)
/position = (50%, 50%)
/valign = center
/select = Break
</text>

<item Break>
</item>

I have also attached my program. I want this "break" to show both after the practice block and after the naturalblock. I was testing this out just after the practice block to get it to work but I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. 

I appreciate any help!

A <text> element isn't a <block>, i.e. you can't run or display a <text> element via an <expt>'s /blocks attribute.

- You need to set up a <trial> that displays the <text>,

<trial breaktrial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=Break]
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

- A <block> that runs that <trial>,

<block breakblock>
/ trials = [1=breaktrial]
</block>

- And then run that <block> via the <expt>:

<expt>
/ blocks=[1=demographics; 2= instructions; 3=Practiceblock; 4=breakblock; 5=naturalblock; 6=tallmanblock]
</expt>

ash8787
ash8787
Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)
Dave - Thursday, August 17, 2017

<expt>
/subjects = (1 of 2)

<text Break>
/items = Break
/hjustify = Center
/size = (90%, 60%)
/position = (50%, 50%)
/valign = center
/select = Break
</text>

<item Break>
</item>

I appreciate any help!

A <text> element isn't a <block>, i.e. you can't run or display a <text> element via an <expt>'s /blocks attribute.

<trial breaktrial>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<block breakblock>
</block>

<expt>
/ blocks=[1=demographics; 2= instructions; 3=Practiceblock; 4=breakblock; 5=naturalblock; 6=tallmanblock]
</expt>

Ok awesome, that worked, thank you. I just have a couple more questions (I have played with it without success)

1. What is the easiest way to show a debrief page? I tried to do this via the post instructions page but couldn't get it to work. I also tried to do this mimicking what we did for the break block. 

2. How do I ensure my survey is recording responses? It doesn't show a response mode attribute so I'm not sure if I need to add this or if the survey by function records responses. 

Thank you so much for your help thus far. 

Ashley
Attachments
Complete Experiment 08182017.iqx (193 views, 88.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
ash8787 - Friday, August 18, 2017

<expt>
/subjects = (1 of 2)

<text Break>
/items = Break
/hjustify = Center
/size = (90%, 60%)
/position = (50%, 50%)
/valign = center
/select = Break
</text>

<item Break>
</item>

I appreciate any help!

<trial breaktrial>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<block breakblock>
</block>

<expt>
</expt>

Ok awesome, that worked, thank you. I just have a couple more questions (I have played with it without success)

1. What is the easiest way to show a debrief page? I tried to do this via the post instructions page but couldn't get it to work. I also tried to do this mimicking what we did for the break block. 

2. How do I ensure my survey is recording responses? It doesn't show a response mode attribute so I'm not sure if I need to add this or if the survey by function records responses. 

Ashley

> 1. What is the easiest way to show a debrief page? I tried to do this via the post instructions page but couldn't get it to work.

Add a <page> element to your script containing the debriefing info and display it via the <expt> elements' /postinstructions.

<page debrief>
^your debriefing info goes here
</page>

<expt>
/ postinstructions = (debrief)
</expt>

> 2. How do I ensure my survey is recording responses?

No extra step is necessary and /responsemode has nothing to do with the _recording_ of responses. Either way, it is not applicable to <survey> elements.

ash8787
ash8787
Dave - Friday, August 18, 2017

<expt>
/subjects = (1 of 2)

<text Break>
/items = Break
/hjustify = Center
/size = (90%, 60%)
/position = (50%, 50%)
/valign = center
/select = Break
</text>

<item Break>
</item>

I appreciate any help!

<trial breaktrial>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<block breakblock>
</block>

<expt>
</expt>

Ashley

> 1. What is the easiest way to show a debrief page? I tried to do this via the post instructions page but couldn't get it to work.

Add a <page> element to your script containing the debriefing info and display it via the <expt> elements' /postinstructions.

<page debrief>
</page>

<expt>
</expt>

No extra step is necessary and /responsemode has nothing to do with the _recording_ of responses. Either way, it is not applicable to <survey> elements.

Ok thank you. With respect to the briefing, since that is a page element how do I cue it up in my experiment lineup? The code works but it does not display. I can't put it in sequence if it isn't a block so I am a little confused. 

Dave
Dave

<expt>
/subjects = (1 of 2)

<text Break>
/items = Break
/hjustify = Center
/size = (90%, 60%)
/position = (50%, 50%)
/valign = center
/select = Break
</text>

<item Break>
</item>

I appreciate any help!

<trial breaktrial>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<block breakblock>
</block>

<expt>
</expt>

Ashley

<page debrief>
</page>

<expt>
</expt>

Ok thank you. With respect to the briefing, since that is a page element how do I cue it up in my experiment lineup? The code works but it does not display. I can't put it in sequence if it isn't a block so I am a little confused. 

<page> elements are displayed via /pre- and /postinstructions attributes. They are not <block> or <trial> elements, and you don't execute them via the /blocks or /trials attributes.

<expt>
/ blocks = [... your block sequence is here ...]
</expt>

means <page debrief> will be displayed at the very end of the respective <expt> element, i.e. after all blocks have been run. If you have multiple <expt> elements because of between-subjects conditions, you need to specify /postinstructions in all of them.

ash8787
ash8787

<expt>
/subjects = (1 of 2)

<text Break>
/items = Break
/hjustify = Center
/size = (90%, 60%)
/position = (50%, 50%)
/valign = center
/select = Break
</text>

<item Break>
</item>

I appreciate any help!

<trial breaktrial>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<block breakblock>
</block>

<expt>
</expt>

Ashley

<page debrief>
</page>

<expt>
</expt>

<page> elements are displayed via /pre- and /postinstructions attributes. They are not <block> or <trial> elements, and you don't execute them via the /blocks or /trials attributes.

<expt>
</expt>

means <page debrief> will be displayed at the very end of the respective <expt> element, i.e. after all blocks have been run. If you have multiple <expt> elements because of between-subjects conditions, you need to specify /postinstructions in all of them.

Thank you, this was super helpful. 

I want to ensure I have my timing done properly in my experiment. If I have the following sequence, can you verify the timing for each part?  We didn't use the stimulus time but intsead used frames, which made it a little confusing. 

/stimulusframes = [1=fixation; 119=blankspace;120=daunorubicinscript; 149=blankspace; 150=mask; 269=blankspace;270=doxorubicinN]
/beginresponseframe = 270
/posttrialpause = 1500

Dave
Dave
ash8787 - Monday, August 28, 2017

<expt>
/subjects = (1 of 2)

<text Break>
/items = Break
/hjustify = Center
/size = (90%, 60%)
/position = (50%, 50%)
/valign = center
/select = Break
</text>

<item Break>
</item>

I appreciate any help!

<trial breaktrial>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<block breakblock>
</block>

<expt>
</expt>

Ashley

<page debrief>
</page>

<expt>
</expt>

<expt>
</expt>

I want to ensure I have my timing done properly in my experiment. If I have the following sequence, can you verify the timing for each part?  We didn't use the stimulus time but intsead used frames, which made it a little confusing. 

/stimulusframes = [1=fixation; 119=blankspace;120=daunorubicinscript; 149=blankspace; 150=mask; 269=blankspace;270=doxorubicinN]
/posttrialpause = 1500

I cannot really verify the _timing_. When you use stimulusframes, the timing will depend on the system's display refresh rate. If the given display is running at, say, 100Hz, a single refresh cycle lasts 10ms. If the display runs at a lower rate, say, 50Hz, a refresh cycle lasts 20ms. Timing will vary accordingly, i.e. you'll get different results on different systems. What your code does is display "fixation" in the 1st display frame, "blankspace" 118 frames later, and so forth. What those 118 frames mean in terms of time will vary depending on the display's refresh rate as mentioned above. Hope this clarifies.

ash8787
ash8787
Dave - Monday, August 28, 2017

<expt>
/subjects = (1 of 2)

<text Break>
/items = Break
/hjustify = Center
/size = (90%, 60%)
/position = (50%, 50%)
/valign = center
/select = Break
</text>

<item Break>
</item>

I appreciate any help!

<trial breaktrial>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<block breakblock>
</block>

<expt>
</expt>

Ashley

<page debrief>
</page>

<expt>
</expt>

<expt>
</expt>

/posttrialpause = 1500

I cannot really verify the _timing_. When you use stimulusframes, the timing will depend on the system's display refresh rate. If the given display is running at, say, 100Hz, a single refresh cycle lasts 10ms. If the display runs at a lower rate, say, 50Hz, a refresh cycle lasts 20ms. Timing will vary accordingly, i.e. you'll get different results on different systems. What your code does is display "fixation" in the 1st display frame, "blankspace" 118 frames later, and so forth. What those 118 frames mean in terms of time will vary depending on the display's refresh rate as mentioned above. Hope this clarifies.

Ok, so I have to find out what my refresh rate is on the computers I will be using. Would it be pretty simple to change this to stimulus time in order to make sure this is what I want it to be?

Dave
Dave
Dave - Monday, August 28, 2017

<expt>
/subjects = (1 of 2)

<text Break>
/items = Break
/hjustify = Center
/size = (90%, 60%)
/position = (50%, 50%)
/valign = center
/select = Break
</text>

<item Break>
</item>

I appreciate any help!

<trial breaktrial>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<block breakblock>
</block>

<expt>
</expt>

Ashley

<page debrief>
</page>

<expt>
</expt>

<expt>
</expt>

/posttrialpause = 1500

Ok, so I have to find out what my refresh rate is on the computers I will be using. Would it be pretty simple to change this to stimulus time in order to make sure this is what I want it to be?

I can't really answer that because I don't *know* what you want it to be in terms of timing, i.e. what refresh rate you _assumed_ when you specified the /stimulusframes as it stands currently. Generally, though, specifying your timings in /stimulustimes should be pretty straightforward, i.e. if you wanted to present a fixation cross at t0, followed by a stimulus 2000ms later, and so forth, you would simply state:

/ stimulustimes = [0=fixation; 2000=stimulus1; ...]

The only place where this gets problematic is when you effectively want timings that the given display cannot achieve. Suppose you have a display running at 60Hz, i.e. a single refresh cycle lasts ~16.67ms. Then specifying something like

/ stimulustimes = [0=fixation; 2000=stimulus1; 2010=stimulus2; ...]

won't really work, because 10ms between stimulus1 and stimulus2 is something the 60Hz display simply cannot deliver (a display running at 100Hz could). As a consequence, stimulus1 and stimulus2 would likely fall into the same frame and effectively be displayed at the same time.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search