/file directory in element

Author
Rob
Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello everyone,
I'm wondering if it is possible to specify a general directory within the <survey> element, something like:

<survey TestSurvey>
/ pages = [1 = ASD]
/ file = "%Desktop%\Output\Name1"
</survey>

similarly would work:
"scriptpath"\Output\Name1

The goal is to run the experiment on different machines and I do not want to change all path's in all parts of the experiment on every computer by hand.

Kind regards,
Rob

Rob
Rob
Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)Partner Member (637 reputation)
Rob - Monday, October 16, 2017
Hello everyone,
I'm wondering if it is possible to specify a general directory within the <survey> element, something like:

<survey TestSurvey>
/ pages = [1 = ASD]
</survey>

similarly would work:

The goal is to run the experiment on different machines and I do not want to change all path's in all parts of the experiment on every computer by hand.

Kind regards,
Rob

E: Heading must be: /file directory in survey Element (<> wont work there)

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hello everyone,

<survey TestSurvey>
/ pages = [1 = ASD]
</survey>

similarly would work:

Kind regards,
Rob

Could you elaborate a little more on the specific setup, i.e. where you plan to store the respective script and run it from, and what the desired outcome is re. the data file save locations, i.e. (sub-)folder structure and the like?

In a nutshell, I don't think there's a totally straightforward way to achieve what you want, but there might be some kind of alternative solution to get there depending on the above.

Thanks!

Rob
Rob
Dave - Monday, October 16, 2017
Hello everyone,

<survey TestSurvey>
/ pages = [1 = ASD]
</survey>

similarly would work:

Kind regards,
Rob

Could you elaborate a little more on the specific setup, i.e. where you plan to store the respective script and run it from, and what the desired outcome is re. the data file save locations, i.e. (sub-)folder structure and the like?

In a nutshell, I don't think there's a totally straightforward way to achieve what you want, but there might be some kind of alternative solution to get there depending on the above.

Thanks!

Hi Dave, thanks for your response.
To be honest I am not really sure what the folder structure will be like, I dont have the computers yet that will be used for the survey.
We will get 10 (windows) laptops with inquisit installled on. We will have a folder for the survey probably on the desktop since the computer is not used for anything else. We have >20 parts that are started through a batch file. So by default the >20 outputs will be saved in the same folder as the parts of the survey. Since we have to delete the output after backup (data protection) I would like to have it in a different folder (say 'Output' folder within the survey parts containing folder) so we do not delete the survey parts by accident.
Now I dont know what user names the computers will get but they will probably differ so that I can not specify a similar /file "path" on all machines.

I hope this wall of text made it more clear.
Thanks for helping, regards,
Rob

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Rob - Tuesday, October 17, 2017
Dave - Monday, October 16, 2017
Hello everyone,

<survey TestSurvey>
/ pages = [1 = ASD]
</survey>

similarly would work:

Kind regards,
Rob

Thanks!

Hi Dave, thanks for your response.
To be honest I am not really sure what the folder structure will be like, I dont have the computers yet that will be used for the survey.
We will get 10 (windows) laptops with inquisit installled on. We will have a folder for the survey probably on the desktop since the computer is not used for anything else. We have >20 parts that are started through a batch file. So by default the >20 outputs will be saved in the same folder as the parts of the survey. Since we have to delete the output after backup (data protection) I would like to have it in a different folder (say 'Output' folder within the survey parts containing folder) so we do not delete the survey parts by accident.
Now I dont know what user names the computers will get but they will probably differ so that I can not specify a similar /file "path" on all machines.

I hope this wall of text made it more clear.
Thanks for helping, regards,
Rob

Thanks for the explanation re. the anticipated setup and the reasoning behind it -- very helpful. Let me ponder that for a while and see if I can come up with a viable solution.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search