Openended - Remove next button, add second button, alternative

Author
Jakob
Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I am new to Inquisit but so far the tutorials helped a lot and I am making progress. But now I got stuck.

What I want to do is to give participants a task in which they have to type in a number into a field. They then should hit one of two buttons, each of them directing the participants to a different page.

For example: „What is 3+3?“ -> Open field -> 1st button: „Please help me with this task“ [participant is directed to help page] 2nd button: „I confirm“ [participant is directed to next task].

Via openended participants can type in a number. Yet, I don’t know whether or how it is possible to disable/remove the next button or how to add another button to openended.

Easiest would be to disable the next button, because then I can simply „create“ two buttons via text/shape in the design I like. Or is there an alternative for openended, which can be implemented in a trial?

So far the only way I can see to work around by using openended and the next button and to then confront the participant in another trial with the two options.

What information do you need to help me out? Thank you very much!

Tags
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Tahwan - Monday, April 9, 2018
Hi,
I am new to Inquisit but so far the tutorials helped a lot and I am making progress. But now I got stuck.

What I want to do is to give participants a task in which they have to type in a number into a field. They then should hit one of two buttons, each of them directing the participants to a different page.

For example: „What is 3+3?“ -> Open field -> 1st button: „Please help me with this task“ [participant is directed to help page] 2nd button: „I confirm“ [participant is directed to next task].

Via openended participants can type in a number. Yet, I don’t know whether or how it is possible to disable/remove the next button or how to add another button to openended.

Easiest would be to disable the next button, because then I can simply „create“ two buttons via text/shape in the design I like. Or is there an alternative for openended, which can be implemented in a trial?

So far the only way I can see to work around by using openended and the next button and to then confront the participant in another trial with the two options.

What information do you need to help me out? Thank you very much!

This isn't possible with <openended>. While it is possible to "disable" the next button (by either moving it off-screen or by making any response invalid per /isvalidresponse), you cannot add another button, nor does the <openended> element allow for <text> elements (as buttons) to serve as responses. The options are:

#1: The two-trial approach you already outlined ("So far the only way I can see to work around by using openended and the next button and to then confront the participant in another trial with the two options.").

#2: A <surveypage> with a <textbox> and an additional question (e.g. <radiobuttons> or <dropdown> presenting the two options "Help me with this task" and "Confirm". You can then /branch to a different page based on the response to that 2nd question.

#3: Building a sort of "custom" <openended>-like interface using a number of <trial> elements. This option is complicated and not necessarily workable. Whether it is or not depends on the type / complexity of input you need to accept (you say "a number", which can mean a lot of different things, from a single-digit integer to large real numbers) and what you then want to do based on that input (if anything).

Option #2 might be a suitable compromise.

Jakob
Jakob
Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)Partner Member (726 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thank you very much Dave. I forgot to answer and thank you for your helpful answer. I guess #3 is too complicated as I am new to Inquisit (have used other languages before, but still). Even though for the current design input should be easy (two digit integer) other experiments in the future might require something more complex. Currently I am working on #2 and for now it seems to me as if this option meets all my requirements. The workaround with option #1 will definetly work, but I would like to avoid my participants having to press an unneccessary button. Thanks anyway!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search