Inquisit web ignores updated files

Author
thv
thv
posted 6 Years Ago HOT
Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
When I upload new files onto inquisit web with the same name as old (deleted) ones, it appears to use the old ones still. Is there a way to avoid having to rename my files?

More details:
I uploaded an inquisit script and html consent form onto inquisit web. I then made changes to the files on my computer and saved over the old ones. Then I deleted the old files from my web script, and tried to reupload the new ones. However, both the script and consent form continued to be the old ones when I ran the task from the inquisit web link.
This happened both when I used 'delete selected files' on the 'upload script' page, and when I unregistered the whole script on the web scripts page, and then created a new web script (with a new link) but the same name.
It also happened when I ran the script in an incognito window.

I can work around it by just naming my updated files different things, but I worry I may accidentally use an old filename without realizing it.

Thanks!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
thv - Tuesday, July 17, 2018
Hello,
When I upload new files onto inquisit web with the same name as old (deleted) ones, it appears to use the old ones still. Is there a way to avoid having to rename my files?

More details:
I uploaded an inquisit script and html consent form onto inquisit web. I then made changes to the files on my computer and saved over the old ones. Then I deleted the old files from my web script, and tried to reupload the new ones. However, both the script and consent form continued to be the old ones when I ran the task from the inquisit web link.
This happened both when I used 'delete selected files' on the 'upload script' page, and when I unregistered the whole script on the web scripts page, and then created a new web script (with a new link) but the same name.

I can work around it by just naming my updated files different things, but I worry I may accidentally use an old filename without realizing it.

Thanks!

One of several things may be happening here:
1) Uploaded files are ultimately distributed to so called "edge caches" around the world to speed up downloads for participants. For any replaced files, it can take some time until the old versions are updated on all caches and the cache starts serving the new ones.
2) It may not be web cache problem at all, but rather that the old files / previous versions are still cached *locally* on your own computer. In the latter case, clearing your system's temporary files / temporary internet files should get rid of the old copies and make sure the new versions are pulled.

To say more, I would need (a) the link to the web experiment as well as (b) some detail that would allow me to tell whether the files I'm seeing are the old or new versions.

thv
thv
Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)
Dave - Tuesday, July 17, 2018
Hello,

More details:

Thanks!

1) Uploaded files are ultimately distributed to so called "edge caches" around the world to speed up downloads for participants. For any replaced files, it can take some time until the old versions are updated on all caches and the cache starts serving the new ones.
2) It may not be web cache problem at all, but rather that the old files / previous versions are still cached *locally* on your own computer. In the latter case, clearing your system's temporary files / temporary internet files should get rid of the old copies and make sure the new versions are pulled.

To say more, I would need (a) the link to the web experiment as well as (b) some detail that would allow me to tell whether the files I'm seeing are the old or new versions.

Thanks for the reply!
I made a sample script (link below) set up the way I did before that hopefully will help.

It is just one trial that displays the following text in the old version:
"Old. Press any key to quit."
And "New. Press any key to quit." in the new version.

I just uploaded the new one, but it currently says old for me.

https://mili2nd.co/2ijb
I also found out that when I upload and save but don't run the old version before uploading the new one, I don't run into the issue (i.e. it shows 'new').
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Hello,

More details:

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply!
I made a sample script (link below) set up the way I did before that hopefully will help.

I also found out that when I upload and save but don't run the old version before uploading the new one, I don't run into the issue (i.e. it shows 'new').

Thanks for the link / demo. I'm definitely getting the correct "new" version (never saw or was administered the "old" version), see below:

That, taken together with

> I also found out that when I upload and save but don't run the old version before uploading the new one, I don't run into the issue (i.e. it shows 'new').

would suggest that the issue is indeed that the "old" version remains cached *locally* on your computer, i.e. clearing your browser cache and the system's temporary / temporary internet files should definitely fix that and result in you getting the correct "new" version after.

thv
thv
Hello,

More details:

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the link / demo. I'm definitely getting the correct "new" version (never saw or was administered the "old" version), see below:

> I also found out that when I upload and save but don't run the old version before uploading the new one, I don't run into the issue (i.e. it shows 'new').

would suggest that the issue is indeed that the "old" version remains cached *locally* on your computer, i.e. clearing your browser cache and the system's temporary / temporary internet files should definitely fix that and result in you getting the correct "new" version after.

Good to know that it won't be an issue for others running my study. Thanks!

vbrown7
vbrown7
Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)
Dave - 7/17/2018

Hi Dave, I am having this same problem, and it's persisting despite clearing my browser cache and system temporary internet files and then restarting my browser. Is there a way to resolve this so I can run the updated versions without having to rename things?

Dave
Dave
vbrown7 - 11/18/2020
Dave - 7/17/2018

Hi Dave, I am having this same problem, and it's persisting despite clearing my browser cache and system temporary internet files and then restarting my browser. Is there a way to resolve this so I can run the updated versions without having to rename things?

Point me to the web experiment in question and detail what you changed (so I can determine whether I see the "new" or "old" file).
vbrown7
vbrown7
Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)
Dave - 11/18/2020
vbrown7 - 11/18/2020
Dave - 7/17/2018

Point me to the web experiment in question and detail what you changed (so I can determine whether I see the "new" or "old" file).

the link is here: https://mili2nd.co/dsvb
I changed a few things, but the first script to run in the batch (start.iqx) should say, "Thank you for agreeing to participate in this experiment! Please wait for the experimenter before continuing." The old version says to click or press space to begin instead of waiting for the experimenter.

Dave
Dave
vbrown7 - 11/19/2020
Dave - 11/18/2020
vbrown7 - 11/18/2020
Dave - 7/17/2018

I changed a few things, but the first script to run in the batch (start.iqx) should say, "Thank you for agreeing to participate in this experiment! Please wait for the experimenter before continuing." The old version says to click or press space to begin instead of waiting for the experimenter.

Thank you. I can state that the "start.iqx" file uploaded is the correct one (https://scripts.millisecond.com/buerkem/supplementv1/start.iqx; saying ""Thank you for agreeing to participate in this experiment! Please wait for the experimenter before continuing." and taking mouse, not keyboard, input).

The above screenshot is from a test run of your online experiment conducted a few minutes ago (id: "test").

If you're still getting the previous file when running the online experiment, then that's due to a malfunctioning web cache server still handing out that file. As far as I can determine, none of the caches under our control still host the outdated file, so the malfunctioning web cache is likely on your ISP's or institution's network.

This assumes that you have not put the study into offline mode on your device (see the "Tests" tab in the Inquisit Player app). When in offline mode, the materials remain stored on your device and any changes will not be picked up until you toggle offline mode off and run through the study once again (you can put it back into offline mode after).

Edited 4 Years Ago by Dave
vbrown7
vbrown7
Dave - 11/19/2020
vbrown7 - 11/19/2020
Dave - 11/18/2020
vbrown7 - 11/18/2020
Dave - 7/17/2018

Thank you. I can state that the "start.iqx" file uploaded is the correct one (https://scripts.millisecond.com/buerkem/supplementv1/start.iqx; saying ""Thank you for agreeing to participate in this experiment! Please wait for the experimenter before continuing." and taking mouse, not keyboard, input).

The above screenshot is from a test run of your online experiment conducted a few minutes ago (id: "test").

If you're still getting the previous file when running the online experiment, then that's due to a malfunctioning web cache server still handing out that file. As far as I can determine, none of the caches under our control still host the outdated file, so the malfunctioning web cache is likely on your ISP's or institution's network.

thanks for looking into this. I did do a test run to check before responding here and still saw the old stimuli, but your screenshot is the correct (new) one. I will look into the ISP cache and see if I can resolve things. I did have someone else confirm that they are seeing the new stimuli when they run it, so it will work for participants, but I'd like to be able to try out updates on my own machine. thanks again!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search