Simple Reaction Time Task

Author
farahsabrina
Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all!

I'm trying to write a script using the simple reaction time task that can be found online. However, the one that I've downloaded online didn't have the design I was going for.

My study is designed such that there are two conditions. Each condition should have 5 blocks with different intervals of which the red circle appears. This means that I have a separate block for 5 second intervals, 3 second intervals, 4.5 second intervals etc. Each of the blocks will have 7 trials. I'm not sure how to write this out because of how the script was originally written. 

Another issue I have is that I have inserted a html page for all my instructions. However, my instructions disappear so quickly, and I'm unsure how to edit the script to ensure that participants have to click the spacebar to move to the next page.

Hope someone can help me out! Thanks!

Attachments
Lay AI Theories Study 2 (Master).zip (227 views, 19.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
farahsabrina - 12/7/2019
Hi all!

I'm trying to write a script using the simple reaction time task that can be found online. However, the one that I've downloaded online didn't have the design I was going for.

My study is designed such that there are two conditions. Each condition should have 5 blocks with different intervals of which the red circle appears. This means that I have a separate block for 5 second intervals, 3 second intervals, 4.5 second intervals etc. Each of the blocks will have 7 trials. I'm not sure how to write this out because of how the script was originally written. 

Another issue I have is that I have inserted a html page for all my instructions. However, my instructions disappear so quickly, and I'm unsure how to edit the script to ensure that participants have to click the spacebar to move to the next page.

Create five blocks, set values.stiminterval /onblockbegin, run the blocks in random order. I.e.

<block SRTTblock6000>
/ onblockbegin = [
values.stiminterval = 6000;
]

/ onblockbegin = [ shape.targetcircle.color = values.targetcolor]
/ onblockbegin = [text.focus.textcolor = values.focuscolor; text.focus.textbgcolor = values.screencolor]

/ trials = [1 = SRTT]
/ onblockbegin = [block.SRTTblock6000.screencolor = values.screencolor]
/ preinstructions = (6secinstruct)
/ postinstructions = (feedback)
/ stop = [trial.SRTT.count == values.maxtrialnumber]
</block>

<block SRTTblock5000>
/ onblockbegin = [
values.stiminterval = 5000;
]

/ onblockbegin = [ shape.targetcircle.color = values.targetcolor]
/ onblockbegin = [text.focus.textcolor = values.focuscolor; text.focus.textbgcolor = values.screencolor]

/ trials = [1 = SRTT]
/ onblockbegin = [block.SRTTblock5000.screencolor = values.screencolor]
/ preinstructions = (5secinstruct)
/ postinstructions = (feedback)
/ stop = [trial.SRTT.count == values.maxtrialnumber]
</block>

with

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [if (values.fixed == 1)
{values.targetx = list.targetposition.nextvalue;
values.targety= list.targetposition.nextvalue}]
/ontrialbegin = [trial.SRTT.insertstimulustime(shape.targetcircle, values.stiminterval)]
/ stimulustimes = [0 = focus]
/ validresponse = (57)
/ correctresponse = (57)
/ ontrialend = [trial.SRTT.resetstimulusframes()]
/ branch = [trial.SRTT]
/ pretrialpause = values.pause
</trial>

and

<expt >
/ blocks = [1-5 = noreplace(SRTTblock6000, SRTTblock5000, SRTTblock4500, SRTTblock3000, SRTTblock2000)]
/onexptend = [values.completed = 1]
</expt>

if you want to run the blocks in random order, or

<expt >
/ blocks = [1 = sequence(SRTTblock6000, SRTTblock5000, SRTTblock4500, SRTTblock3000, SRTTblock2000)]
/onexptend = [values.completed = 1]
</expt>

if you need sequential order (here: longest to shortest interval).

Edited 5 Years Ago by Dave
farahsabrina
farahsabrina
Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)
Dave - 12/9/2019
farahsabrina - 12/7/2019
Hi all!

Create five blocks, set values.stiminterval /onblockbegin, run the blocks in random order.

Thanks Dave! I've just updated my script with the five blocks. However, I still am unsure how to get the instructions to stay and only proceed once participants press the spacebar.

Thank you for the help!
Attachments
accurate.iqx (200 views, 7.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
farahsabrina - 12/9/2019
Dave - 12/9/2019
farahsabrina - 12/7/2019
Hi all!

Create five blocks, set values.stiminterval /onblockbegin, run the blocks in random order.

Thanks Dave! I've just updated my script with the five blocks. However, I still am unsure how to get the instructions to stay and only proceed once participants press the spacebar.

Thank you for the help!

> I still am unsure how to get the instructions to stay and only proceed once participants press the spacebar.

I'm not sure what you mean -- that's exactly how the instructions currently behave and are set to behave.

farahsabrina
farahsabrina
Dave - 12/9/2019
farahsabrina - 12/9/2019
Dave - 12/9/2019
farahsabrina - 12/7/2019
Hi all!

Thank you for the help!

> I still am unsure how to get the instructions to stay and only proceed once participants press the spacebar.

I'm not sure what you mean -- that's exactly how the instructions currently behave and are set to behave.

When I run it on my computer, the instructions appear for a split second and immediately proceed to the trials. I need participants to have the time to read the instruction page. Does this clarify things?
Dave
Dave
farahsabrina - 12/9/2019
Dave - 12/9/2019
farahsabrina - 12/9/2019
Dave - 12/9/2019
farahsabrina - 12/7/2019
Hi all!

Thank you for the help!

When I run it on my computer, the instructions appear for a split second and immediately proceed to the trials. I need participants to have the time to read the instruction page. Does this clarify things?

> When I run it on my computer, the instructions appear for a split second and immediately proceed to the trials.

I am unable to reproduce this. The instructions stay on until the space bar is pressed when completing the task manually. Only when running the monkey are the instructions passed by quickly, which is the expected behavior.

farahsabrina
farahsabrina
Dave - 12/9/2019
farahsabrina - 12/9/2019
Dave - 12/9/2019
farahsabrina - 12/9/2019
Dave - 12/9/2019
farahsabrina - 12/7/2019
Hi all!

Thank you for the help!

> When I run it on my computer, the instructions appear for a split second and immediately proceed to the trials.

I am unable to reproduce this. The instructions stay on until the space bar is pressed when completing the task manually. Only when running the monkey are the instructions passed by quickly, which is the expected behavior.

Ah I see okay! I was running with the monkey. Thanks so much for your assistance :-)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search