Emotional N-Back

Author
elisegrimm
Associate Member (288 reputation)Associate Member (288 reputation)Associate Member (288 reputation)Associate Member (288 reputation)Associate Member (288 reputation)Associate Member (288 reputation)Associate Member (288 reputation)Associate Member (288 reputation)Associate Member (288 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am attempting to recreate Levens & Gotlib's (2010) Emotional N-Back Task into Inquisit but I've run into a few difficulties. 

For the 0-Back:
- I would like to have 3 blocks of trials (one with sad faces, one with happy faces, and one with neutral faces), and would like to counterbalance face gender across blocks ie., 2 blocks of male and 1 block female, or vice versa. Besides creating two separate testing programs, is there any other way I could manually counterbalance gender in that task? How do I tell Inquisit to select only female blocks? Right now, I currently have different stimuli variables according to expression and gender ie., femalesad, femalehappy, etc., 

For the 2-Back (3 blocks of female faces and 3 blocks of male faces):
- Participants are asked to indicate whether the emotional expression is the same or different as that presented two faces earlier (using two separate keys). The authors identify 4 different types of trials:
1) Match-set trials ("same" response trial), where the currently presented facial expression is the same as that presented two trials earlier
2) Break-set trial ("different" response trial), which immediately follows a match-set trial; "The facial expression presented three trials earlier, which must be discarded, was one expression in a matched pair."
3) Perseveration-set trial ("different response trial), similar to break-set trial in that they must follow a match-set trial. In perseveration set trials, however, the current face is the same valence as the face presented three trials earlier, the stimulus that must be removed from WM (ie., a happy face (n+6) immediately follows a happy face (n+5) when a happy was present at (n+3)
4) No-set trials ("different" response trial), does not follow a match-set. Participants simply need to determine that there is no match between the current picture and that presented 2 trials earlier.
My question is: is there anyway Inquisit can identify these trials for me to analyze more easily, or will I need to sort through the data myself and analyze the RT based on the faces that were presented?

For the entire task
- Is there any way I can have 3 0-Back blocks followed by 6 2-Back blocks into one experiment? I would like them to follow one another, as opposed to having participants alternate between the two tasks (as is currently the case in the n-back script on Inquisit)

Thank you so much in advance,

Best,

Elise Grimm
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Threaded View
Threaded View
elisegrimm - 4 Years Ago
Dave - 4 Years Ago
Dave - 4 Years Ago
elisegrimm - 4 Years Ago
Dave - 4 Years Ago
Dave - 4 Years Ago
                         Now, as the next step, let's take the above and add in the...
Dave - 4 Years Ago
                             Thank you so much, this is incredible, and I am eternally grateful!...
elisegrimm - 4 Years Ago
                                 Just set up separate <list> elements for female and male:...
Dave - 4 Years Ago
                                     Thank you so much. I have one last question and I will try to figure...
elisegrimm - 4 Years Ago
                                         That's not possible with an instruction <page>. The way to do...
Dave - 4 Years Ago
                                             How can I make sure that the "happytrial instruction" runs in the...
elisegrimm - 4 Years Ago
                                                 In the same way the type of block is determined in the first place....
Dave - 4 Years Ago
                                                     Hello, Thank you for all of your input. I would like to avoid having...
elisegrimm - 4 Years Ago
                                                         There's no script attached here. Regardless, the item numbers are...
Dave - 4 Years Ago
                                                             Here is the script. If I add the "noreplacenorepeat" or "noreplace" to...
elisegrimm - 4 Years Ago
                                                                 That list has 22 items -- 1 to 22. noreplacenorepeat makes no sense,...
Dave - 4 Years Ago
                                                                     Thank you, will this prevent images from repeating within one block?
elisegrimm - 4 Years Ago
                                                                         Yes, but if and only if the list is not sampled more often from than...
Dave - 4 Years Ago
                                                                             Attaching a version with the /onblockbegin resets in place and .bmp...
Dave - 4 Years Ago
                                                                                 Amazing, it works great and is now online. Thank you so much for all...
elisegrimm - 4 Years Ago

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search