Voice recognition error when running "Calibrate Microphone Tool" using OS X

Voice recognition error when running "Calibrate Microphone Tool" using...
Author
logwarren
New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there,

I'm attempting to use the Colour Stroop with speech recognition in order to have the trial responses scored automatically using the script available from the Millisecond Test Library.

However, I'm having initial issues even getting the voice recognition to function at all. I've attempted to run the Microphone calibration tool through Inquisit but am recieving this error message:

"Speech Error -5111: Cannot set the specified property. Line 431, File mac/SpeechEngine.mm"

My guess is that my version Inquisit 4 might not be supported for the OS version I am running - but it would be great if you could shed any light on this. I've posted the full System Information details below (Removed the registration keys etc though). 

Just as a note, I get the exact same error running the voice Stroop script so assumedly it isn't able to find the relevant speech engine required, but again this is just my guess.

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Cheers
Warren

Version:
4.0.6.0 64bit (build 2536)
Build Date:
Jun 30 2014
Build Time:
17:18:02
Expiration Date:
Registered
Computer Key:
XXXX
Registration Key:
XXXX
Platform:
Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_13_6; x86_64
CPU Speed:
Memory:
108 KB available of 3397 KB total
Timer resolution:
0.0000010000000000000 milliseconds
IP address:
MAC address:
2C-F0-EE-23-45-2C
Graphics Engine:
MacOpenGL
Color resolution:
32 bits per pixel
Display mode:
1440 x 900
Refresh Rate:
60 Hz
Videosync support:
WaitForVerticalBlank mode

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
logwarren - 3/15/2021
Hi there,

I'm attempting to use the Colour Stroop with speech recognition in order to have the trial responses scored automatically using the script available from the Millisecond Test Library.

However, I'm having initial issues even getting the voice recognition to function at all. I've attempted to run the Microphone calibration tool through Inquisit but am recieving this error message:

"Speech Error -5111: Cannot set the specified property. Line 431, File mac/SpeechEngine.mm"

My guess is that my version Inquisit 4 might not be supported for the OS version I am running - but it would be great if you could shed any light on this. I've posted the full System Information details below (Removed the registration keys etc though). 

Just as a note, I get the exact same error running the voice Stroop script so assumedly it isn't able to find the relevant speech engine required, but again this is just my guess.

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Cheers
Warren

Version:
4.0.6.0 64bit (build 2536)
Build Date:
Jun 30 2014
Build Time:
17:18:02
Expiration Date:
Registered
Computer Key:
XXXX
Registration Key:
XXXX
Platform:
Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_13_6; x86_64
CPU Speed:
Memory:
108 KB available of 3397 KB total
Timer resolution:
0.0000010000000000000 milliseconds
IP address:
MAC address:
2C-F0-EE-23-45-2C
Graphics Engine:
MacOpenGL
Color resolution:
32 bits per pixel
Display mode:
1440 x 900
Refresh Rate:
60 Hz
Videosync support:
WaitForVerticalBlank mode

Inquisit 4 development ceased before macOS 10.13 ever saw the light of day, so it's probably an incompatibility, especially since Apple is in the habit of sometimes making quite drastic changes even with minor OS updates and are prone to break old apps in the process.

That said, the Inquisit 4 version you're running is also not up to date (4.0.6.0), the last Inquisit 4 release was 4.0.10.0, which you can obtain from the download archives:
https://inquisit.millisecond.com/4/4_0_10_0/mac/Inquisit_40100.pkg

You might try your luck with that.

> assumedly it isn't able to find the relevant speech engine required, but again this is just my guess.

I don't know if that guess is correct or if it's the only problem, but you will want to make sure that the appropriate offline speech recognizer ("Enhanced Dictation") is installed:
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/dictate-your-messages-and-documents-mh40584/10.13/mac/10.13
logwarren
logwarren
New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 3/15/2021

Inquisit 4 development ceased before macOS 10.13 ever saw the light of day, so it's probably an incompatibility, especially since Apple is in the habit of sometimes making quite drastic changes even with minor OS updates and are prone to break old apps in the process.

That said, the Inquisit 4 version you're running is also not up to date (4.0.6.0), the last Inquisit 4 release was 4.0.10.0, which you can obtain from the download archives:

> assumedly it isn't able to find the relevant speech engine required, but again this is just my guess.

I don't know if that guess is correct or if it's the only problem, but you will want to make sure that the appropriate offline speech recognizer ("Enhanced Dictation") is installed:
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/dictate-your-messages-and-documents-mh40584/10.13/mac/10.13

Thanks Dave - I updated as suggested and the task now works perfectly well and scores correctly too! 

(The downside my licence is now deregistered on that test computer due to applying the update outside of a 3 year purchase period but that's another story...)  

Thanks again for your help

Best
Warren
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
logwarren - 3/17/2021
Dave - 3/15/2021

Thanks Dave - I updated as suggested and the task now works perfectly well and scores correctly too! 

(The downside my licence is now deregistered on that test computer due to applying the update outside of a 3 year purchase period but that's another story...)  

Thanks again for your help

Best
Warren

If you send me a private message with account name, invoice number, computer and/or registration key, I can review whether that license has lapsed or not.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search