How to put response frames (windows) on a picture?

Author
atolopilo
Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I try to implement some kind of a face in the crowd task. I've seen a lot of that kind of script but none of them fits mine. In every trial, Participant has to indicate 1 of 4 faces presented on a matrix by clicking on it.

Previously, I assigned specific keys to image position in a matrix (e.g. "w" for 1, "e" for 2, etc.) and marked them on a keyboard but because of switching from stationary lab to online study, I would prefer to change this "technique".

I would like to set a response as a mouse click on a chosen pic, e.g. participant wants to choose face 2 (in the matrix) so just clicks on this particular face (+ it would be saved as "2" in my results). Additionally, It would be great if the face (box) that participant has a cursor on it (in that particular moment) was illuminated.

I guess that I need to add some kind of "shape" or "mask" but have no idea where and how. My script is very basic: item -> picture -> trial -> block with 80 noreplace trials.

Thank You for all your help!

Typical matrix (it's one picture item, not 4 separate images):

Here is a scheme for my study:

Attachments
1.iqx (40 views, 35.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

If you want response to be a click on a picture element, set the trials' /inputdevice to mouse and define the name of the displayed picture elements in /validresponse.

atolopilo
atolopilo
Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)Associate Member (151 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 4/12/2021

If you want response to be a click on a picture element, set the trials' /inputdevice to mouse and define the name of the displayed picture elements in /validresponse.

How will I know which "area" of the picture someone clicked on?
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
atolopilo - 4/14/2021
Dave - 4/12/2021

How will I know which "area" of the picture someone clicked on?

responsex and responsey and math based on the screen area inhabited by the image.

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/language/properties/responsex.htm
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/language/properties/responsey.htm
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/language/properties/top.htm
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/language/properties/left.htm

<picture examplepicture>
/ items = ("example.png")
/ position = (50%,50%)
/ size = (80%, 80%)
</picture>

<trial exampletrial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=examplepicture]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (examplepicture)
/ ontrialend = [
    values.img_widthpx = picture.examplepicture.right - picture.examplepicture.left;
    values.img_heightpx = picture.examplepicture.bottom - picture.examplepicture.top;
    values.responsex_in_img = trial.exampletrial.responsex - picture.examplepicture.left;
    values.responsey_in_img = trial.exampletrial.responsey - picture.examplepicture.top;
    values.responsex_pct = (values.responsex_in_img/values.img_widthpx)*100;
    values.responsey_pct = (values.responsey_in_img/values.img_heightpx)*100;
]
</trial>

<values>
/ img_widthpx = 0
/ img_heightpx = 0
/ responsex_in_img = -1
/ responsey_in_img = -1
/ responsex_pct = -1
/ responsey_pct = -1
</values>

<block exampleblock>
/ trials = [1-4 = exampletrial]
</block>

<data>
/ columns = (date time subject group blocknum blockcode trialnum trialcode latency response trial.exampletrial.responsex trial.exampletrial.responsey
    values.responsex_in_img values.responsey_in_img values.responsex_pct values.responsey_pct
    values.img_widthpx values.img_heightpx)
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search