Trial Runs Locally But Not Online

Author
jmsaito
Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
In my script, I have a trial where I manually set the position of the mouse to the center of the screen before advancing to the next trial. I've confirmed that this trial works properly when I run my Inquisit script locally. However, when I distribute the experiment to my participants online, the mouse appears at the last position it was in on the previous trial. This makes me think that my mouse place trial is being skipped over or failing in some way. 

Here is the trial snippet where I set the mouse:

<trial place_mouse>
/ ontrialbegin = [mouse.x = 50%;
                mouse.y = 50%;
]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ stimulustimes = [0 = color_wheel, FixationCross]
/ recorddata = false
/ responseinterrupt = trial
/ timeout = 17
/ branch = [    
    if (values.numtargs == 1){
        trial.first_recall1
    } else if (values.numtargs == 3){
        trial.first_recall3
    }
]
</trial>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
jmsaito - 2/3/2022
In my script, I have a trial where I manually set the position of the mouse to the center of the screen before advancing to the next trial. I've confirmed that this trial works properly when I run my Inquisit script locally. However, when I distribute the experiment to my participants online, the mouse appears at the last position it was in on the previous trial. This makes me think that my mouse place trial is being skipped over or failing in some way. 

<trial place_mouse>
                mouse.y = 50%;
]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ recorddata = false
/ timeout = 17
/ branch = [    
        trial.first_recall1
        trial.first_recall3
    }
]
</trial>

I'm not sure how an isolated code snippet is supposed to allow me to ascertain whether said code snippet is somehow "skipped."

At a minimum, provide a clear explanation of what (you think) the code is supposed to do. Provide the relevant context. Provide a link to the script.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dave - 2/3/2022
jmsaito - 2/3/2022

<trial place_mouse>
                mouse.y = 50%;
]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ recorddata = false
/ timeout = 17
/ branch = [    
        trial.first_recall1
        trial.first_recall3
    }
]
</trial>

I'm not sure how an isolated code snippet is supposed to allow me to ascertain whether said code snippet is somehow "skipped."

At a minimum, provide a clear explanation of what (you think) the code is supposed to do. Provide the relevant context. Provide a link to the script.

Adding: As I've pointed out to you here https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost33793.aspx , Mac users will need to grant the app permission to set mouse coordinates. This is the case as of macOS 10.14. This is a requirement imposed by Apple. Under Settings => Security & Privacy => Accessibility Inquisit 6 or Inquisit Player 6 must be checked for this to work

There is no analogous requirement under Windows, so under Windows it "just works" -- regardless of Web or Lab.

Edited 2 Years Ago by Dave
jmsaito
jmsaito
Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)Associate Member (120 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Great thanks--you are right, it ended up being a permissions issue
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search