Stroop Instruction Page Garbled

Author
elrpo
Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Again,
Hopefully this is as easy as the last.... I cannot work out why this is happening as I have not made changes to any of the stroop files, and have imported them directly into the experiment from the library.

The instructions are showing on multiple devices per attached screenshot, and I cannot work out why that might be. It works fine when I run it from the lab, just not on the web.

Once again, thank you for any assistance!
Ellie

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Hi Again,
Hopefully this is as easy as the last.... I cannot work out why this is happening as I have not made changes to any of the stroop files, and have imported them directly into the experiment from the library.

The instructions are showing on multiple devices per attached screenshot, and I cannot work out why that might be. It works fine when I run it from the lab, just not on the web.

Ellie

Nothing you can do here, that's an Internet Explorer bug, which Inquisit uses to render HTML instruction pages. On some systems, for unclear reasons, IE fails to decompress the HTML before trying to render it. What you see is an artifact of the compression. Only way to work around that is to replace the HTML instructions with something else (i.e. not HTML).
elrpo
elrpo
Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)Associate Member (131 reputation)
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Hi Again,

Ellie

Nothing you can do here, that's an Internet Explorer bug, which Inquisit uses to render HTML instruction pages. On some systems, for unclear reasons, IE fails to decompress the HTML before trying to render it. What you see is an artifact of the compression. Only way to work around that is to replace the HTML instructions with something else (i.e. not HTML).

Hi Dave,

Yikes. That sucks. Three different PC's all did the same so I thought it was me. I will replace with an image and run with that.
I did get someone else's stroop to run and it looks like they had their instructions set up the same way (as a htm) and it loaded. So I'm not sure why that might have worked.

Thank you again, especially for such a speedy response.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Hi Again,

Ellie

Hi Dave,

Yikes. That sucks. Three different PC's all did the same so I thought it was me. I will replace with an image and run with that.
I did get someone else's stroop to run and it looks like they had their instructions set up the same way (as a htm) and it loaded. So I'm not sure why that might have worked.

I wish I knew what specifically causes this (it might be something like a web cache or proxy on the local network, but I'm not sure), For what it's worth, however, here's how the page looks when I run through your Stroop web experiment on the Windows 10 system I'm sitting on:

So, it's not an universal or easily reproducible issue, I'm afraid.
elrpo
elrpo
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Hi Again,

Ellie

Hi Dave,

I wish I knew what specifically causes this (it might be something like a web cache or proxy on the local network, but I'm not sure), For what it's worth, however, here's how the page looks when I run through your Stroop web experiment on the Windows 10 system I'm sitting on:

Noted, thanks for checking. I have tried to add an image in place of the htm but turns out it might be more complicated than i thought? The task won't run - keeps crashing back to the editor in the lab, but it's not giving me an error message to work through it.

Dave
Dave
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Hi Again,

Ellie

Hi Dave,

Noted, thanks for checking. I have tried to add an image in place of the htm but turns out it might be more complicated than i thought? The task won't run - keeps crashing back to the editor in the lab, but it's not giving me an error message to work through it.

Attach the script and the image and then I can probably tell you what's wrong.
elrpo
elrpo
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Hi Again,

Ellie

Hi Dave,

So the only thing I have changed is removing:
<htmlpage stroop>
/ file = "StroopInstructions1.htm"
</htmlpage>

and replaced it with:
<image stroop>
/ items = ("stroopinstructions1.png")
/ position = (63%, 1%)
/ imagesize = (10%, 10%)
</image>
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Hi Again,

Ellie

Hi Dave,

So all I've changed is the original htmlpage element, into an image element - and I did not expect it to work, but I did expect it to tell me why not, ha.

I suspect it's to do with the blocks? But I am unsure what to do with that if so.

Attachments
stroopwithcontrolkeyboard.iqx (67 views, 25.00 KB)
elrpo
elrpo
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Hi Again,

Ellie

Hi Dave,

<htmlpage stroop>
</htmlpage>

and replaced it with:
<image stroop>
/ position = (63%, 1%)
/ imagesize = (10%, 10%)
</image>
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Hi Again,

Ellie

Hi Dave,

So all I've changed is the original htmlpage element, into an image element - and I did not expect it to work, but I did expect it to tell me why not, ha.

I suspect it's to do with the blocks? But I am unsure what to do with that if so.

so sorry for the double post, it froze and I tried to refresh and remove and it seems to have posted both
Dave
Dave
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Hi Again,

Ellie

Hi Dave,

<htmlpage stroop>
</htmlpage>

and replaced it with:
<image stroop>
/ position = (63%, 1%)
/ imagesize = (10%, 10%)
</image>
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Hi Again,

Ellie

Hi Dave,

Well, an <image> element is not an instruction page. <image> elements are for use on <surveypage>s. And you need to run such a surveypage via a block's /trials, not per /preinstructions.
Attachments
stroopwithcontrolkeyboard.iqx (54 views, 25.00 KB)
elrpo
elrpo
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Hi Again,

Ellie

Hi Dave,

<htmlpage stroop>
</htmlpage>

and replaced it with:
<image stroop>
/ position = (63%, 1%)
/ imagesize = (10%, 10%)
</image>
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Dave - 3/18/2022
elrpo - 3/18/2022
Hi Again,

Ellie

Hi Dave,

Well, an <image> element is not an instruction page. <image> elements are for use on <surveypage>s. And you need to run such a surveypage via a block's /trials, not per /preinstructions.

Could I create a new script for the instruction page, as a survey, and remove /preinstructions altogether? Or is it more complicated than that?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search