Updating a task throughout a repeated measures design

Author
Sam
New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I know within a trial you can adapt tasks based on user response. And I know that you can keep a subject ID to get repeated measures. However, I was wondering if there is a way to track user performance across time.

For example, let's say I'm running the Iowa gambling task, and I want to test the subject every day. And each day, I want the subject to start out with the amount of money that they left with last time. Is something like this possible?

Thank you!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Sam - 5/5/2022
I know within a trial you can adapt tasks based on user response. And I know that you can keep a subject ID to get repeated measures. However, I was wondering if there is a way to track user performance across time.

For example, let's say I'm running the Iowa gambling task, and I want to test the subject every day. And each day, I want the subject to start out with the amount of money that they left with last time. Is something like this possible?

Thank you!

If your question is whether this is possible to do automatically, the answer is no.

If you're willing to update each participant's achieved score manually at the end of each day, you can use conditional <include> elements to load it into the script for their next run.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dave - 5/5/2022
Sam - 5/5/2022

Thank you!

If your question is whether this is possible to do automatically, the answer is no.

If you're willing to update each participant's achieved score manually at the end of each day, you can use conditional <include> elements to load it into the script for their next run.

It basically goes like this, taking the IGT as an example. The amount of money participants start with is defined in parameters.startamount. It's 2000 by default.

<parameters>
/ startamount = 2000
/ showcardinfo = true
</parameters>

Change that to

// loads the startamount parameter from an external file
<include>
/ file = "subject_<%script.subjectid%>_startamount.iqx"
</include>

<parameters>
// startamount = 2000 // will be loaded from external file
/ showcardinfo = true
</parameters>

and you can load the parameter from an external file. The file name contains the subject ID, so if the participant has ID 1, the script will look for and load a file called "subject_1_startamount.iqx". If the ID were 432, it would try to load a file called "subject_432_startamount.iqx". In those files, you can set the start amount to whatever total the given participant achieved previously, i.e., it could look like this for participant with ID 1.

<parameters>
/ startamount = 5150
</parameters>

Attachments
iowagamblingtask.iqx (104 views, 29.00 KB)
subject_1_startamount.iqx (90 views, 50 bytes)
deck.jpg (101 views, 29.00 KB)
deckon.jpg (98 views, 29.00 KB)
Sam
Sam
New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 5/5/2022
Dave - 5/5/2022
Sam - 5/5/2022

Thank you!

It basically goes like this, taking the IGT as an example. The amount of money participants start with is defined in parameters.startamount. It's 2000 by default.

<parameters>
/ startamount = 2000
/ showcardinfo = true
</parameters>

Change that to

// loads the startamount parameter from an external file
<include>
/ file = "subject_<%script.subjectid%>_startamount.iqx"
</include>

<parameters>
// startamount = 2000 // will be loaded from external file
/ showcardinfo = true
</parameters>

and you can load the parameter from an external file. The file name contains the subject ID, so if the participant has ID 1, the script will look for and load a file called "subject_1_startamount.iqx". If the ID were 432, it would try to load a file called "subject_432_startamount.iqx". In those files, you can set the start amount to whatever total the given participant achieved previously, i.e., it could look like this for participant with ID 1.

<parameters>
/ startamount = 5150
</parameters>

Got it, thank you so much for the help!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search