Sound calibration in Inquisit Web task

Author
nidhi_desai
Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)Respected Member (474 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am looking for a method to perform some kind of sound calibration for an Inquisit Web task. The task has sound feedback which I would like to be really loud. What can I do to make sure that the participant's speaker is ON and their volumn is at approx. 85 dB?
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
nidhi_desai - 6/21/2022
I am looking for a method to perform some kind of sound calibration for an Inquisit Web task. The task has sound feedback which I would like to be really loud. What can I do to make sure that the participant's speaker is ON and their volumn is at approx. 85 dB?

There's really no way to do this. No software knows or can know the sound pressure level, which is what you are referring to (85 dB SPL), a given speaker is able to put out or what software level volume would be required to make a given speaker put that out. You don't know what kind of speaker there is. You don't know what kind of additional (pre-)amping etc. is in the signal chain before things hit the speaker. Determining SPL would require the participant to use an external SPL meter (there are phone apps, but I don't know how good or accurate these are).

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search