Inconsistent inter-trial interval (some stimuli loading very slowly)

Author
sakm
Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello, 

I created a new Inquisit script based on a sample script for the Judgment Bias Task. In this task, participants are presented with profiles of various applicants and they are asked to accept or reject them based on their qualifications. There is an encoding (viewing) phase, where they just view the profiles and then there is a testing phase, where they accept or reject them. 

In the sample script (with the cat images), the profiles in the encoding phase work fine. But even though I used pretty much the same script for my task (JBT-Inquisit.zip), there is a strange delay in the appearance of some of the stimuli in the encoding phase. I can't seem to figure out why this is happening.

The only changes I made were the images (I use faces instead of cats). I also have fewer trials (40 trials) instead of the 64 used in the sample study and added a few demographic questions

I would appreciate it if someone could let me know why this is happening. Could it be a problem with differences in image size? (My face images are around 20kb each while the cat pictures are about 9kb).

Thanks a lot!

Attachments
JBT-Inquisit.zip (92 views, 1.00 MB)
SampleStudy.zip (89 views, 1.00 MB)
sakm
sakm
Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Hello, 

I created a new Inquisit script based on a sample script for the Judgment Bias Task. In this task, participants are presented with profiles of various applicants and they are asked to accept or reject them based on their qualifications. There is an encoding (viewing) phase, where they just view the profiles and then there is a testing phase, where they accept or reject them. 

In the sample script (with the cat images), the profiles in the encoding phase work fine. But even though I used pretty much the same script for my task (JBT-Inquisit.zip), there is a strange delay in the appearance of some of the stimuli in the encoding phase. I can't seem to figure out why this is happening.

The only changes I made were the images (I use faces instead of cats). I also have fewer trials (40 trials) instead of the 64 used in the sample study and added a few demographic questions

I would appreciate it if someone could let me know why this is happening. Could it be a problem with differences in image size? (My face images are around 20kb each while the cat pictures are about 9kb).

Thanks a lot!

Just an additional detail: The delay in the appearance of the stimuli is worse when I put the script up on Inquisit Web
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Hello, 

Thanks a lot!

Just an additional detail: The delay in the appearance of the stimuli is worse when I put the script up on Inquisit Web

You start out with empty item elements, so Inquisit does not know it has to load any image files into memory at all. Inquisit Lab has to load them from disk at runtime, which is costlier than loading them from memory and can cause delays. Inquisit Web has to download them from the server at runtime, which is even constlier and will cause even longer delays. You need to add a <picture> element to the script that pre-loads all image files into memory, by defining all images as its /items. That <picture> element doesn't have to actually be used otherwise in the script, it just needs to be there.
sakm
sakm
Dave - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Hello, 

Thanks a lot!

You start out with empty item elements, so Inquisit does not know it has to load any image files into memory at all. Inquisit Lab has to load them from disk at runtime, which is costlier than loading them from memory and can cause delays. Inquisit Web has to download them from the server at runtime, which is even constlier and will cause even longer delays. You need to add a <picture> element to the script that pre-loads all image files into memory, by defining all images as its /items. That <picture> element doesn't have to actually be used otherwise in the script, it just needs to be there.

Thanks! When I add a picture element with the images as items, the script gives me an error saying the counter is not a valid attribute. The images are defined again in counter. Why is it no longer valid if I add a <picture> element?

Also, adding the picture element doesn't seem to solve the variable ITI problem.
sakm
sakm
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Dave - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Hello, 

Thanks a lot!

Thanks! When I add a picture element with the images as items, the script gives me an error saying the counter is not a valid attribute. The images are defined again in counter. Why is it no longer valid if I add a <picture> element?

Also, adding the picture element doesn't seem to solve the variable ITI problem.

Ah, actually the counter issue was just a small typo. But the <picture> element still doesn't solve the original issue.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Dave - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Hello, 

Thanks a lot!

Ah, actually the counter issue was just a small typo. But the <picture> element still doesn't solve the original issue.

It does if you do it right. Show your code?
sakm
sakm
Dave - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Dave - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Hello, 

Thanks a lot!

I have attached my new script. And below is the code that I added:

<picture profiles>
/ items = (
"Profile_Reject1.jpg",
"Profile_Reject2.jpg",
"Profile_Reject3.jpg",
"Profile_Reject4.jpg",
"Profile_Reject5.jpg",
"Profile_Reject6.jpg",
"Profile_Reject7.jpg",
"Profile_Reject8.jpg",
"Profile_Reject9.jpg",
"Profile_Reject10.jpg",
"Profile_Reject11.jpg",
"Profile_Reject12.jpg",
"Profile_Reject13.jpg",
"Profile_Reject14.jpg",
"Profile_Reject15.jpg",
"Profile_Reject16.jpg",
"Profile_Reject17.jpg",
"Profile_Reject18.jpg",
"Profile_Reject19.jpg",
"Profile_Reject20.jpg")
</picture>

<picture faces>
/ items = ("Stim1.jpg",
"Stim2.jpg",
"Stim3.jpg",
"Stim4.jpg",
"Stim5.jpg",
"Stim6.jpg",
"Stim7.jpg",
"Stim8.jpg",
"Stim9.jpg",
"Stim10.jpg",
"Stim11.jpg",
"Stim12.jpg",
"Stim13.jpg",
"Stim14.jpg",
"Stim15.jpg",
"Stim16.jpg",
"Stim17.jpg",
"Stim18.jpg",
"Stim19.jpg",
"Stim20.jpg",
"Stim1W.jpg",
"Stim2W.jpg",
"Stim3W.jpg",
"Stim4W.jpg",
"Stim5W.jpg",
"Stim6W.jpg",
"Stim7W.jpg",
"Stim8W.jpg",
"Stim9W.jpg",
"Stim10W.jpg",
"Stim11W.jpg",
"Stim12W.jpg",
"Stim13W.jpg",
"Stim14W.jpg",
"Stim15W.jpg",
"Stim16W.jpg",
"Stim17W.jpg",
"Stim18W.jpg",
"Stim19W.jpg",
"Stim20W.jpg")
</picture>

Attachments
JBTStudy-Project1.exp (92 views, 20.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Dave - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Dave - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Hello, 

Thanks a lot!

<picture profiles>
/ items = (
"Profile_Reject1.jpg",
"Profile_Reject2.jpg",
"Profile_Reject3.jpg",
"Profile_Reject4.jpg",
"Profile_Reject5.jpg",
"Profile_Reject6.jpg",
"Profile_Reject7.jpg",
"Profile_Reject8.jpg",
"Profile_Reject9.jpg",
"Profile_Reject10.jpg",
"Profile_Reject11.jpg",
"Profile_Reject12.jpg",
"Profile_Reject13.jpg",
"Profile_Reject14.jpg",
"Profile_Reject15.jpg",
"Profile_Reject16.jpg",
"Profile_Reject17.jpg",
"Profile_Reject18.jpg",
"Profile_Reject19.jpg",
"Profile_Reject20.jpg")
</picture>

<picture faces>
/ items = ("Stim1.jpg",
"Stim2.jpg",
"Stim3.jpg",
"Stim4.jpg",
"Stim5.jpg",
"Stim6.jpg",
"Stim7.jpg",
"Stim8.jpg",
"Stim9.jpg",
"Stim10.jpg",
"Stim11.jpg",
"Stim12.jpg",
"Stim13.jpg",
"Stim14.jpg",
"Stim15.jpg",
"Stim16.jpg",
"Stim17.jpg",
"Stim18.jpg",
"Stim19.jpg",
"Stim20.jpg",
"Stim1W.jpg",
"Stim2W.jpg",
"Stim3W.jpg",
"Stim4W.jpg",
"Stim5W.jpg",
"Stim6W.jpg",
"Stim7W.jpg",
"Stim8W.jpg",
"Stim9W.jpg",
"Stim10W.jpg",
"Stim11W.jpg",
"Stim12W.jpg",
"Stim13W.jpg",
"Stim14W.jpg",
"Stim15W.jpg",
"Stim16W.jpg",
"Stim17W.jpg",
"Stim18W.jpg",
"Stim19W.jpg",
"Stim20W.jpg")
</picture>

That's missing half the profile images. You're not loading any of the "Accept" ones.
sakm
sakm
Dave - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Dave - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Dave - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Hello, 

Thanks a lot!

<picture profiles>
/ items = (
"Profile_Reject1.jpg",
"Profile_Reject2.jpg",
"Profile_Reject3.jpg",
"Profile_Reject4.jpg",
"Profile_Reject5.jpg",
"Profile_Reject6.jpg",
"Profile_Reject7.jpg",
"Profile_Reject8.jpg",
"Profile_Reject9.jpg",
"Profile_Reject10.jpg",
"Profile_Reject11.jpg",
"Profile_Reject12.jpg",
"Profile_Reject13.jpg",
"Profile_Reject14.jpg",
"Profile_Reject15.jpg",
"Profile_Reject16.jpg",
"Profile_Reject17.jpg",
"Profile_Reject18.jpg",
"Profile_Reject19.jpg",
"Profile_Reject20.jpg")
</picture>

<picture faces>
/ items = ("Stim1.jpg",
"Stim2.jpg",
"Stim3.jpg",
"Stim4.jpg",
"Stim5.jpg",
"Stim6.jpg",
"Stim7.jpg",
"Stim8.jpg",
"Stim9.jpg",
"Stim10.jpg",
"Stim11.jpg",
"Stim12.jpg",
"Stim13.jpg",
"Stim14.jpg",
"Stim15.jpg",
"Stim16.jpg",
"Stim17.jpg",
"Stim18.jpg",
"Stim19.jpg",
"Stim20.jpg",
"Stim1W.jpg",
"Stim2W.jpg",
"Stim3W.jpg",
"Stim4W.jpg",
"Stim5W.jpg",
"Stim6W.jpg",
"Stim7W.jpg",
"Stim8W.jpg",
"Stim9W.jpg",
"Stim10W.jpg",
"Stim11W.jpg",
"Stim12W.jpg",
"Stim13W.jpg",
"Stim14W.jpg",
"Stim15W.jpg",
"Stim16W.jpg",
"Stim17W.jpg",
"Stim18W.jpg",
"Stim19W.jpg",
"Stim20W.jpg")
</picture>

That's missing half the profile images. You're not loading any of the "Accept" ones.

It seems to work now! Thanks a lot. Still curious why the sample script stimuli works without adding the <picture> element.
Dave
Dave
sakm - 7/28/2022
Dave - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Dave - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Dave - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
afreenksm - 7/28/2022
Hello, 

Thanks a lot!

<picture profiles>
/ items = (
"Profile_Reject1.jpg",
"Profile_Reject2.jpg",
"Profile_Reject3.jpg",
"Profile_Reject4.jpg",
"Profile_Reject5.jpg",
"Profile_Reject6.jpg",
"Profile_Reject7.jpg",
"Profile_Reject8.jpg",
"Profile_Reject9.jpg",
"Profile_Reject10.jpg",
"Profile_Reject11.jpg",
"Profile_Reject12.jpg",
"Profile_Reject13.jpg",
"Profile_Reject14.jpg",
"Profile_Reject15.jpg",
"Profile_Reject16.jpg",
"Profile_Reject17.jpg",
"Profile_Reject18.jpg",
"Profile_Reject19.jpg",
"Profile_Reject20.jpg")
</picture>

<picture faces>
/ items = ("Stim1.jpg",
"Stim2.jpg",
"Stim3.jpg",
"Stim4.jpg",
"Stim5.jpg",
"Stim6.jpg",
"Stim7.jpg",
"Stim8.jpg",
"Stim9.jpg",
"Stim10.jpg",
"Stim11.jpg",
"Stim12.jpg",
"Stim13.jpg",
"Stim14.jpg",
"Stim15.jpg",
"Stim16.jpg",
"Stim17.jpg",
"Stim18.jpg",
"Stim19.jpg",
"Stim20.jpg",
"Stim1W.jpg",
"Stim2W.jpg",
"Stim3W.jpg",
"Stim4W.jpg",
"Stim5W.jpg",
"Stim6W.jpg",
"Stim7W.jpg",
"Stim8W.jpg",
"Stim9W.jpg",
"Stim10W.jpg",
"Stim11W.jpg",
"Stim12W.jpg",
"Stim13W.jpg",
"Stim14W.jpg",
"Stim15W.jpg",
"Stim16W.jpg",
"Stim17W.jpg",
"Stim18W.jpg",
"Stim19W.jpg",
"Stim20W.jpg")
</picture>

It seems to work now! Thanks a lot. Still curious why the sample script stimuli works without adding the <picture> element.

> Still curious why the sample script stimuli works without adding the <picture> element.

It doesn't. The images are significantly smaller, however, so the issue is probably less noticeable.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search