Participant ID for Multiple Tasks

Author
charsiubhau
Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm conducting a symbol search, tower of london, backwards corsi block tapping task, and single letter n back using a batch script. Is there a unified way to ask what their participant ID (PID) is at the beginning of each task?

If not, how could I ask for the PID in each individual task? I'm having difficulty coding this.

I would appreciate any help!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022
I'm conducting a symbol search, tower of london, backwards corsi block tapping task, and single letter n back using a batch script. Is there a unified way to ask what their participant ID (PID) is at the beginning of each task?

If not, how could I ask for the PID in each individual task? I'm having difficulty coding this.

Why would you need to ask (or ask multiple times) for PID?
charsiubhau
charsiubhau
Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)Respected Member (443 reputation)
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022

That's because we're running a program in R that gathers different Inquisit outputs and combines them into a master file that categorizes based on task and participant ID

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022

That's because we're running a program in R that gathers different Inquisit outputs and combines them into a master file that categorizes based on task and participant ID

Here's what I don't understand:
- You say you are running your tasks using a batch script.
- The subject ID you provide when starting the batch script is the subject ID used and logged for any and all tasks executed by the batch script.
- This is true for Inquisit Lab and it is equally true for Inquisit Web.

Unless what you refer to as "PID" is a separate thing -- and if so, you need to explain what it is and why it needs to be separate from the subject ID -- there simply is no need for any special provisions to collect an ID via a script or multiple times across several scripts.

Edited 2 Years Ago by Dave
charsiubhau
charsiubhau
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022

- The subject ID you provide when starting the batch script is the subject ID used and logged for any and all tasks executed by the batch script.

Unless what you refer to as "PID" is a separate thing -- and if so, you need to explain what it is and why it needs to be separate from the subject ID -- there simply is no need for any special provisions to collect an ID via a script or multiple times across several scripts.

We're generating our own participant ID's that we're sending to participants to use for tasks outside of Inquisit. These participant ID's will identify which tasks they completed for our master file.
Dave
Dave
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022

We're generating our own participant ID's that we're sending to participants to use for tasks outside of Inquisit. These participant ID's will identify which tasks they completed for our master file.

And why does that change things in any way? You can have an Inquisit Web experiment prompt participants to enter an ID, i.e. the one you sent them. Or you can pass in the subject ID to an Inquisit Web experiment via URL parameter, in which case you can send a given participant an individualized link that already contains the ID you generated for them -- no need for the participant to enter anything.

charsiubhau
charsiubhau
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022

And why does that change things in any way? You can have an Inquisit Web experiment prompt participants to enter an ID, i.e. the one you sent them. Or you can pass in the subject ID to an Inquisit Web experiment via URL parameter, in which case you can send a given participant an individualized link that already contains the ID you generated for them -- no need for the participant to enter anything.

How would I have Inquisit Web prompt participants to enter an ID?

charsiubhau
charsiubhau
charsiubhau - 8/18/2022
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022

Sorry, I know that Inquisit prompts the ID at the beginning of the task. However, would the ID they enter apply/be connected to the data from separate tasks if I use a batch script?

Dave
Dave
charsiubhau - 8/18/2022
charsiubhau - 8/18/2022
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022

Sorry, I know that Inquisit prompts the ID at the beginning of the task. However, would the ID they enter apply/be connected to the data from separate tasks if I use a batch script?

> How would I have Inquisit Web prompt participants to enter an ID?

It's a simple option you can choose in the web experiment's settings.

> However, would the ID they enter apply/be connected to the data from separate tasks if I use a batch script?

Every script run by the batch will log the ID entered in its data files, as I have already told you.

charsiubhau
charsiubhau
Dave - 8/18/2022
charsiubhau - 8/18/2022
charsiubhau - 8/18/2022
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022
Dave - 8/17/2022
charsiubhau - 8/17/2022

> How would I have Inquisit Web prompt participants to enter an ID?

It's a simple option you can choose in the web experiment's settings.

> However, would the ID they enter apply/be connected to the data from separate tasks if I use a batch script?

Every script run by the batch will log the ID entered in its data files, as I have already told you.

Thank you!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search