Timeout message does not load properly

Author
sakm
Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello, 

In my experiment, I am trying to include a time limit for the response trials. If participants don't manage to make a response within the timelimit, I want to display the message "Please respond faster".

In the zip file, I've added the stimuli and the code for the timed experiment. Currently, when you run it, it displays the error message but also displays part of the previous trial. I am not sure why this is happening.

Does anyone have a better way of adding a timeout message?

For reference, I have also attached the Inquisit script I used for the same experiment without a time-limit on trial responses.

Would appreciate your help!
Attachments
JBT-Inquisit - timed.zip (74 views, 872.00 KB)
JBTStudy-Project1.exp (167 views, 20.00 KB)
sakm
sakm
Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)Respected Member (301 reputation)
sakm - 10/19/2022
Hello, 

In my experiment, I am trying to include a time limit for the response trials. If participants don't manage to make a response within the timelimit, I want to display the message "Please respond faster".

In the zip file, I've added the stimuli and the code for the timed experiment. Currently, when you run it, it displays the error message but also displays part of the previous trial. I am not sure why this is happening.

For reference, I have also attached the Inquisit script I used for the same experiment without a time-limit on trial responses.

I seem to have found the follow solution to this problem!

##################

<text warning>
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 50)
/ txcolor = (255, 0, 0)
/ items = ("Please respond faster!")
/ erase = true(255, 255, 255)
</text>

### Testing trials.
### These are the only trials set up to record data. The program automatically records whether participants are making a correct or incorrect decision.
### Make one trial for each application/image combination for the test phase.
### You do not need to alter any of the coding below to adapt the JBT to your own use.

<trial test_levela_categorya>
/stimulustimes = [1 = levela_categorya1,levelabutton,levelbbutton,levela_categorya2]
/correctresponse = (levelabutton)
/validresponse = (levelabutton,levelbbutton)
/inputdevice = mouse
/timeout = 1500
/responsemessage = (noresponse, warning, 0)
/posttrialpause=300
</trial>

<trial test_levelb_categorya>
/stimulustimes = [1=levelb_categorya1,levelabutton,levelbbutton,levelb_categorya2]
/correctresponse = (levelbbutton)
/inputdevice = mouse
/timeout = 1500
/posttrialpause=300
</trial>

<trial test_levela_categoryb>
/stimulustimes = [1=levela_categoryb1,levelabutton,levelbbutton,levela_categoryb2]
/inputdevice = mouse
/timeout = 1500
/posttrialpause=300
</trial>

<trial test_levelb_categoryb>
/stimulustimes = [1=levelb_categoryb1,levelabutton,levelbbutton,levelb_categoryb2]
/correctresponse = (levelbbutton)
/inputdevice = mouse
/timeout = 1500
/posttrialpause=300
</trial>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
sakm - 10/19/2022
Hello, 

> Currently, when you run it, it displays the error message but also displays part of the previous trial. I am not sure why this is happening.

Quite simply,

<text timeoutmessage>
/ items = timeoutmessage
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 2.73%, false, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ position = (50%, 70%)
/ size = (80%, 80%)
/ hjustify = center
/ txcolor = red
</text>

is positioned such that it does not fully cover up the other stimuli displayed by the trial.

Apart from that, however, the way you set up your trials does not make sense.

/stimulustimes = [1=levela_categorya1,levelabutton,levelbbutton,levela_categorya2; 1500 = timeoutmessage]
/inputdevice = mouse
/timeout = 2500
/posttrialpause=300
</trial>

This trial (as well as all the others) displays the timeout message at 1500ms into the trial, but it does not allow you to actually respond before the message is displayed. It's also not at all clear from the code what you want the time limit ("If participants don't manage to make a response within the timelimit") to be. If it's supposed to be 1500ms, then why does the trial have a 2500ms /timeout? If it's supposed to be 2500ms, then why is the "respond faster" message displayed at 1500ms?

sakm
sakm
Dave - 10/20/2022
sakm - 10/19/2022
Hello, 

> Currently, when you run it, it displays the error message but also displays part of the previous trial. I am not sure why this is happening.

Quite simply,

<text timeoutmessage>
/ items = timeoutmessage
/ position = (50%, 70%)
/ size = (80%, 80%)
/ hjustify = center
/ txcolor = red
</text>

is positioned such that it does not fully cover up the other stimuli displayed by the trial.

/stimulustimes = [1=levela_categorya1,levelabutton,levelbbutton,levela_categorya2; 1500 = timeoutmessage]
/inputdevice = mouse
/timeout = 2500
/posttrialpause=300
</trial>

This trial (as well as all the others) displays the timeout message at 1500ms into the trial, but it does not allow you to actually respond before the message is displayed. It's also not at all clear from the code what you want the time limit ("If participants don't manage to make a response within the timelimit") to be. If it's supposed to be 1500ms, then why does the trial have a 2500ms /timeout? If it's supposed to be 2500ms, then why is the "respond faster" message displayed at 1500ms?

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response!
I initially set the time limit at 1500ms because that's how much time I want participants to have to respond. I wanted the timeout message to be displayed after the 1500ms. Therefore, I tried increasing the timeout to 2500ms so participants would have 1000ms to view the timeout message as well. Now I realize that this doesn't work.

I think the solution I figured out in my second post accomplishes what I wanted to do (display a "Please respond faster!" message if participants fail to make a response in 1500ms).

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
sakm - 10/20/2022
Dave - 10/20/2022
sakm - 10/19/2022
Hello, 

Quite simply,

<text timeoutmessage>
/ items = timeoutmessage
/ position = (50%, 70%)
/ size = (80%, 80%)
/ hjustify = center
/ txcolor = red
</text>

/inputdevice = mouse
/timeout = 2500
/posttrialpause=300
</trial>

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response!
I initially set the time limit at 1500ms because that's how much time I want participants to have to respond. I wanted the timeout message to be displayed after the 1500ms. Therefore, I tried increasing the timeout to 2500ms so participants would have 1000ms to view the timeout message as well. Now I realize that this doesn't work.

I think the solution I figured out in my second post accomplishes what I wanted to do (display a "Please respond faster!" message if participants fail to make a response in 1500ms).

Yes, using /responsemessage is the correct way (or one correct way, there are almost always multiple), but note that with

/posttrialpause=300

the warning will be displayed for 300ms, not 1000ms.

If you want the message to be displayed for 1000ms, you should specify

/responsemessage = (noresponse, warning, 1000)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search