Error in session completed

Author
hsmartin
Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

One of our participants (005 in the image below) had an issue come up today. We usually send him a link to each specific session, but today when he clicked the link we had sent (https://mili2nd.co/eo6b?subjectid=005&groupid=1&sessionid=8) it had him repeat the session he completed last time (session ID 7 instead of 8). The log below shows him opening session ID 8, but somehow completing session ID 7 again (shown under data files). Any ideas on what might have happened? Thanks so much in advance!

Best,
Heather

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
hsmartin - 12/1/2022
Hello,

One of our participants (005 in the image below) had an issue come up today. We usually send him a link to each specific session, but today when he clicked the link we had sent (https://mili2nd.co/eo6b?subjectid=005&groupid=1&sessionid=8) it had him repeat the session he completed last time (session ID 7 instead of 8). The log below shows him opening session ID 8, but somehow completing session ID 7 again (shown under data files). Any ideas on what might have happened? Thanks so much in advance!

Best,
Heather

Just a quick note: We haven't forgotton or are ignoring the session number discrepancy you pointed out. We're still puzzling over what may have caused this, though without success thus far. I will provide an update here when I have more to report.
hsmartin
hsmartin
Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)Associate Member (95 reputation)
Dave - 12/3/2022
hsmartin - 12/1/2022
Hello,

Best,
Heather

Just a quick note: We haven't forgotton or are ignoring the session number discrepancy you pointed out. We're still puzzling over what may have caused this, though without success thus far. I will provide an update here when I have more to report.

Thanks so much for the update. Also, in case it helps, I just noticed that the Inquisit version for the missed session appears to be "6.5.2" (instead of the "6.6.1" it says for all the other sessions). I'm wondering if somehow the participant was directed to an earlier version of Inquisit?
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
hsmartin - 12/5/2022
Dave - 12/3/2022
hsmartin - 12/1/2022
Hello,

Best,
Heather

Thanks so much for the update. Also, in case it helps, I just noticed that the Inquisit version for the missed session appears to be "6.5.2" (instead of the "6.6.1" it says for all the other sessions). I'm wondering if somehow the participant was directed to an earlier version of Inquisit?

Technically your experiment runs under version 6.5.2 (see its settings), but the participant was using version 6.6.1. The 6.5.2 only shows up in the log because that's the nominal version and there's nothing else for session #8 (because the session number inexplicably got bumped down back to 7).

hsmartin
hsmartin
Dave - 12/5/2022
hsmartin - 12/5/2022
Dave - 12/3/2022
hsmartin - 12/1/2022
Hello,

Best,
Heather

Technically your experiment runs under version 6.5.2 (see its settings), but the participant was using version 6.6.1. The 6.5.2 only shows up in the log because that's the nominal version and there's nothing else for session #8 (because the session number inexplicably got bumped down back to 7).

Hi! I hope you are well. Just wanted to check in to see if there were any updates on the issue with the session number.

In case it helps, the participant who experienced this issue was different from other participants (who didn't experience the issue) in two ways: one was that he used an Android, and the other was that he was in group ID 1 rather than group ID 2. We're wondering if the issue could be specific to Androids or group 1? Or maybe it was just a temporary glitch for one participant? We're mostly hoping to make sure this isn't an issue that will replicate with future participants.

Thank you so much - we really appreciate it! Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide.
Dave
Dave
hsmartin - 1/10/2023
Dave - 12/5/2022
hsmartin - 12/5/2022
Dave - 12/3/2022
hsmartin - 12/1/2022
Hello,

Best,
Heather

Hi! I hope you are well. Just wanted to check in to see if there were any updates on the issue with the session number.

In case it helps, the participant who experienced this issue was different from other participants (who didn't experience the issue) in two ways: one was that he used an Android, and the other was that he was in group ID 1 rather than group ID 2. We're wondering if the issue could be specific to Androids or group 1? Or maybe it was just a temporary glitch for one participant? We're mostly hoping to make sure this isn't an issue that will replicate with future participants.

Thank you so much - we really appreciate it! Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide.

The honest answer is: We don't know what caused the problem. The launch service and the licensing service rely on the same underlying backend function. The correct session number was present at launch, and the launch service picked it up correctly from the URL parameter. Just a second later, however, it's gone and the licensing service has the wrong one. What happened in-betewen is a mystery. We've reviewed the code and could not identify any bug in it. We've not been able to replicate the problem (not on Android devices, not on other systems) across a large amount of tests. While it's clear where the wrong session number came from (session numbers in the database are determined by counting finish page hits, so if not overridden by URL parameter, the system will pull that value from the database), it's not clear what made the URL parameter disappear (for lack of a better word) inbetween launch and licensing time. Any scenarion I can come up with seems wildly implausible; e.g. the participant clicking the link with the URL parameter, thereby making the launch service pick up the correct session number, but still having a tab from a previous session open in their browser (without the session ID URL parameter), and clicking the start button in that other tab; some browser plugin or security app that strips URL parameters; an Android update failing to migrate app configuration properly, thereby partly breaking its protocol handler (which, among other things, passes the launch information from the browser to the app). Something like that is possible in theory, but none of those scenarios seem particularly convincing to me.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search