Inquisit and Polybench

Author
Christine.Nothelfer
Associate Member (279 reputation)Associate Member (279 reputation)Associate Member (279 reputation)Associate Member (279 reputation)Associate Member (279 reputation)Associate Member (279 reputation)Associate Member (279 reputation)Associate Member (279 reputation)Associate Member (279 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello, 

I'm planning which I have programmed with Inquisit. In this study I want to record the skin conductance with Polybench.

Now I have added the codes (port) in my script and have defined the ports in the surveypages "skin_conductance1", "skin_conductance2", "skin_conductance3" and "skin_conductance4" in order to set markers in Polybench. The aim is that when the surveypages "skin_conductance1", "skin_conductance2", "skin_conductance3", "skin_conductance4" appear, that there appears a marker in Polybench.

Now the problem is that the surveypages "skin_conductance1", "skin_conductance2", "skin_conductance3" and "skin_conductance4" won't appear if I run the script and there appear no markers in Polybench.

Do you have an idea what I have to change so that the surveypages and the marker will appear?

And is it necessary that I define the exact name of the program (Polybench) in the script in which the markers should be set? If yes, do you know where and how I can do that?

Thank you very much.

C.

Attachments
SAM.png (396 views, 23.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Christine.Nothelfer - Monday, March 11, 2019
Hello, 

I'm planning which I have programmed with Inquisit. In this study I want to record the skin conductance with Polybench.

Now I have added the codes (port) in my script and have defined the ports in the surveypages "skin_conductance1", "skin_conductance2", "skin_conductance3" and "skin_conductance4" in order to set markers in Polybench. The aim is that when the surveypages "skin_conductance1", "skin_conductance2", "skin_conductance3", "skin_conductance4" appear, that there appears a marker in Polybench.

Now the problem is that the surveypages "skin_conductance1", "skin_conductance2", "skin_conductance3" and "skin_conductance4" won't appear if I run the script and there appear no markers in Polybench.

Do you have an idea what I have to change so that the surveypages and the marker will appear?

And is it necessary that I define the exact name of the program (Polybench) in the script in which the markers should be set? If yes, do you know where and how I can do that?

Thank you very much.

C.

You're displaying the <port> signals via the <surveypage>s' /stimulusframes, which is the correct way to do it.

<surveypage skin_conductance1>
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3%, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/subcaptionfontstyle = ("Arial", 1.5%, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/itemfontstyle = ("Arial", 2.5%, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/responsefontstyle = ("Arial", 1.9%, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/showpagenumbers = false
/showquestionnumbers = false
/ nextbuttonposition = (90%, 95%)
/ backbuttonposition = (80%, 95%)
/ nextlabel = "weiter"
/ backlabel = "zurück"
/ ontrialbegin = [shape.progressbar.width=80%*(values.currentpage/values.npages)]
/ ontrialbegin = [values.currentpage = values.currentpage+1]
/ stimulusframes = [1=Konditionierungssignal1_Baseline]
</surveypage>

i.e. they are being sent. It may be that the signal is too short for your external equipment to pick it up, try setting /erase to false in the <port> elements to ensure the signal remains raised:

<port Konditionierungssignal1_Baseline>
/ port = LPT1
/ subport = data
/ items = ("00000001")
/ erase = false
</port>

If that does not do the trick, you can also try delaying the signal for a frame or two

/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/showpagenumbers = false
/ nextlabel = "weiter"
/ backlabel = "zurück"
/ ontrialbegin = [shape.progressbar.width=80%*(values.currentpage/values.npages)]
/ stimulusframes = [3=Konditionierungssignal1_Baseline]
</surveypage>

and/or raising it again after a frame or two:

/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/showpagenumbers = false
/ nextlabel = "weiter"
/ backlabel = "zurück"
/ stimulusframes = [1=Konditionierungssignal1_Baseline; 3=Konditionierungssignal1_Baseline]
</surveypage>

Lastly, make sure the receiving equipment is configured correctly.

> And is it necessary that I define the exact name of the program (Polybench) in the script in which the markers should be set?

No. Inquisit has no and needs no knowledge of the software. Raising a signal on a data pin on the parallel port is agnostic as to any specific software or equipment.

KlinischePsychologie24
KlinischePsychologie24
New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)
Hello,

we are restarting the study and having the same problem as described before by Christine.Nothelfer.
The study was programmed with Inquisit 5 and we use TSMi Polybench for recording the skin conductance. The ports are defined in the surveypages "skin_conductance1", ... within the script (see attached file) for setting markers in Polybench.
But while recording there aren't appearing any markers in Polybench. Also afterwards when we check the data file there are no markers, the recording of the skin conductance works without problems.
We have already tried the proposed solutions in this forum but they don't work - we still can't see any markers.

Do you have any idea what other changes we could make to the script in order for the markers to appear in Polybench? Or if the problem could lie somewhere else?

Thank you very much!

Attachments
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
KlinischePsychologie24 - 12/1/2022
Hello,

we are restarting the study and having the same problem as described before by Christine.Nothelfer.
The study was programmed with Inquisit 5 and we use TSMi Polybench for recording the skin conductance. The ports are defined in the surveypages "skin_conductance1", ... within the script (see attached file) for setting markers in Polybench.
But while recording there aren't appearing any markers in Polybench. Also afterwards when we check the data file there are no markers, the recording of the skin conductance works without problems.
We have already tried the proposed solutions in this forum but they don't work - we still can't see any markers.

Do you have any idea what other changes we could make to the script in order for the markers to appear in Polybench? Or if the problem could lie somewhere else?

Thank you very much!

There's no obvious issue with the code that I can see, though try a couple of things:

(1) Check whether you can get any signal going at all via Tools -> Parallel Port Monitor... ( https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/howtoportmonitor.htm )

(2) WIndows can be stingy with allowing access to low-level hardware resources such as LPT interfaces. Try running Inquisit with elevated privileges (right-click the icon, select "Run as adminstrator").

(3) Double-check any and all settings on the receiving end. Is the amplifier wired up and connected correctly? Is Polybench configured correctly and listening for signals on the correct input lines?

(4) Move the port stimuli from the first to the 2nd frame. I.e. instead of

/ stimulusframes = [1=Konditionierungssignal1_CSM_Baseline]

do

/ stimulusframes = [2=Konditionierungssignal1_CSM_Baseline]

(and so forth).

KlinischePsychologie24
KlinischePsychologie24
New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)
Dave - 12/1/2022
Hello,

Thank you very much!

There's no obvious issue with the code that I can see, though try a couple of things:

(1) Check whether you can get any signal going at all via Tools -> Parallel Port Monitor... ( https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/howtoportmonitor.htm )

(2) WIndows can be stingy with allowing access to low-level hardware resources such as LPT interfaces. Try running Inquisit with elevated privileges (right-click the icon, select "Run as adminstrator").

(3) Double-check any and all settings on the receiving end. Is the amplifier wired up and connected correctly? Is Polybench configured correctly and listening for signals on the correct input lines?

do

(and so forth).

Dear Dave,

thank you so much for your help and suggestions!

We tried them all but unfortunately the problem remains and can't be solved with them.
(2) and (4) didn't make any difference. With (1) and (3) everything appears to be set up correctly.

We are open for other suggestions!
Dave
Dave
KlinischePsychologie24 - 12/8/2022
Dave - 12/1/2022
Hello,

Thank you very much!

do

(and so forth).

Dear Dave,

thank you so much for your help and suggestions!

We tried them all but unfortunately the problem remains and can't be solved with them.
(2) and (4) didn't make any difference. With (1) and (3) everything appears to be set up correctly.

We are open for other suggestions!

> With (1) and (3) everything appears to be set up correctly.

Meaning you can successfully send signals to the amplifier via the Paralell Port Monitor and Polybench registers them?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search