Two videos cannot play at the same time in one trial

Author
ttyelnv
Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello!

I am trying to play two videos (one on the left side of the screen and another on the right side of the screen) on inquisit 5 on windows, however, they do not start at the same time despite two videos are identical in content, format and size.

My codes are as follows:

<video video_one_left>
/ items = ("F8.mp4")
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (25%,50%)
/ scale = (0.25)
</video>

<video video_one_right>
/ items = ("F8.mp4")
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (75%,50%)
/ scale = (0.25)
</video>

<trial movieone>
/stimulusframes = [1= video_one_left,video_one_right; 16000=clearscreen]
/trialduration = 16000
</trial>

The video on the left side will always be opened first, followed by the video on the right side of the screen. When I tried the same code on Mac OS, no such problem occurred, but the resolution of the video became very poor. I also tried /stimulustimes, but the same problem persists. May I ask if there is any solution to resolve the time lag issue and make videos on both sides start playing at the same time? Thank you in advance for your help!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
nuttymenkk - 12/24/2022
Hello!

I am trying to play two videos (one on the left side of the screen and another on the right side of the screen) on inquisit 5 on windows, however, they do not start at the same time despite two videos are identical in content, format and size.

My codes are as follows:

<video video_one_left>
/ items = ("F8.mp4")
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (25%,50%)
/ scale = (0.25)
</video>

<video video_one_right>
/ items = ("F8.mp4")
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (75%,50%)
/ scale = (0.25)
</video>

<trial movieone>
/trialduration = 16000
</trial>

The video on the left side will always be opened first, followed by the video on the right side of the screen. When I tried the same code on Mac OS, no such problem occurred, but the resolution of the video became very poor. I also tried /stimulustimes, but the same problem persists. May I ask if there is any solution to resolve the time lag issue and make videos on both sides start playing at the same time? Thank you in advance for your help!

> May I ask if there is any solution to resolve the time lag issue and make videos on both sides start playing at the same time?

No, there isn't. The relevant WIndows' video API isn't really built for playing multiple videos simultaneously, so you'll always see lags. The macOS API handles this somewhat better, but -- as you noted -- it's not without issues either.

ttyelnv
ttyelnv
Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)
Dave - 12/26/2022
nuttymenkk - 12/24/2022
Hello!

My codes are as follows:

<video video_one_left>
/ items = ("F8.mp4")
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (25%,50%)
/ scale = (0.25)
</video>

<video video_one_right>
/ items = ("F8.mp4")
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (75%,50%)
/ scale = (0.25)
</video>

<trial movieone>
/trialduration = 16000
</trial>

> May I ask if there is any solution to resolve the time lag issue and make videos on both sides start playing at the same time?

No, there isn't. The relevant WIndows' video API isn't really built for playing multiple videos simultaneously, so you'll always see lags. The macOS API handles this somewhat better, but -- as you noted -- it's not without issues either.

I see, thank you very much for your swift reply!

I have one additional question about  adding event markers for the start and end of the video display. Right now it is quite easy to add event markers for biopac when I am using /stimulustimes in the inquisit script, but the lag between videos is a bit more serious with /stimulustimes compared to /stimulusframes. However, with /stimulusframs command, I am a bit clueless about how to add event markers at the end of the video. Should I extract the exact number of frames for every video and add the exact frame number it to the script?
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
nuttymenkk - 12/28/2022
Dave - 12/26/2022
nuttymenkk - 12/24/2022
Hello!

My codes are as follows:

<video video_one_left>
/ items = ("F8.mp4")
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (25%,50%)
/ scale = (0.25)
</video>

<video video_one_right>
/ items = ("F8.mp4")
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (75%,50%)
/ scale = (0.25)
</video>

<trial movieone>
/trialduration = 16000
</trial>

I have one additional question about  adding event markers for the start and end of the video display. Right now it is quite easy to add event markers for biopac when I am using /stimulustimes in the inquisit script, but the lag between videos is a bit more serious with /stimulustimes compared to /stimulusframes. However, with /stimulusframs command, I am a bit clueless about how to add event markers at the end of the video. Should I extract the exact number of frames for every video and add the exact frame number it to the script?

/stimulustimes vs /stimulusframes shouldn't make a difference, since /stimulustimes ultimately maps to frames. Frames, i.e. discrete display refresh cycles, is what all displays rely on, and /stimulustimes just picks the frame that gets you closest to the specified time point given the display's refresh rate.

ttyelnv
ttyelnv
Dave - 12/28/2022
nuttymenkk - 12/28/2022
Dave - 12/26/2022
nuttymenkk - 12/24/2022
Hello!

My codes are as follows:

<video video_one_left>
/ items = ("F8.mp4")
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (25%,50%)
/ scale = (0.25)
</video>

<video video_one_right>
/ items = ("F8.mp4")
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (75%,50%)
/ scale = (0.25)
</video>

<trial movieone>
/trialduration = 16000
</trial>

/stimulustimes vs /stimulusframes shouldn't make a difference, since /stimulustimes ultimately maps to frames. Frames, i.e. discrete display refresh cycles, is what all displays rely on, and /stimulustimes just picks the frame that gets you closest to the specified time point given the display's refresh rate.

for some unknown reason, /stimulusframes command gives me less time lag in the opening time of both videos. This is so strange....
Dave
Dave
nuttymenkk - 12/29/2022
Dave - 12/28/2022
nuttymenkk - 12/28/2022
Dave - 12/26/2022
nuttymenkk - 12/24/2022
Hello!

My codes are as follows:

<video video_one_left>
/ items = ("F8.mp4")
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (25%,50%)
/ scale = (0.25)
</video>

<video video_one_right>
/ items = ("F8.mp4")
/ playthrough = true
/ position = (75%,50%)
/ scale = (0.25)
</video>

<trial movieone>
/trialduration = 16000
</trial>

for some unknown reason, /stimulusframes command gives me less time lag in the opening time of both videos. This is so strange....

Do you have some data to show the difference and the underlying code for both /stimulusframes and -times? From a purely technical perspective, there shouldn't be any difference, since /stimulustimes literally maps to frames, i.e. the same thing /stimulusframes does directly.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search