Software upgrade required?

Author
dantassone9382
Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I have been running a set of cognitive tasks on Inquisit since Fall 2021, and I received an error message yesterday that (as far as I know) I have not received before.

My study (https://mili2nd.eu/wiyb) uses Inquisit 6.5. Yesterday, two participants downloaded the software from the homepage and received a message along the lines of, "the software can’t run because it needs to be updated. Contact the developer". The participants were then prompted to download a new version of the software (I assume version 6.6.1), and then they were able to complete the study. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but both participants claimed they were using brand new Macbooks.

My primary question is: should I be concerned if some participants are using Inquisit 6.6.1 vs. Inquisit 6.5? I'm concerned that collecting data with different software versions may affect the comparability of the data.

Also, do you know why participants who download Inquisit from the study's homepage are not able to run the study with that software?

Unfortunately, I was not present during the study sessions when this happened, so I do not have any additional information other than what was shared to me by my Research Assistant. But if you need additional information to troubleshoot, please let me know and I can consult with my RA. Thank you!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
dantassone9382 - 4/1/2023
Hello,

I have been running a set of cognitive tasks on Inquisit since Fall 2021, and I received an error message yesterday that (as far as I know) I have not received before.

My study (https://mili2nd.eu/wiyb) uses Inquisit 6.5. Yesterday, two participants downloaded the software from the homepage and received a message along the lines of, "the software can’t run because it needs to be updated. Contact the developer". The participants were then prompted to download a new version of the software (I assume version 6.6.1), and then they were able to complete the study. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but both participants claimed they were using brand new Macbooks.

My primary question is: should I be concerned if some participants are using Inquisit 6.6.1 vs. Inquisit 6.5? I'm concerned that collecting data with different software versions may affect the comparability of the data.

Also, do you know why participants who download Inquisit from the study's homepage are not able to run the study with that software?

Unfortunately, I was not present during the study sessions when this happened, so I do not have any additional information other than what was shared to me by my Research Assistant. But if you need additional information to troubleshoot, please let me know and I can consult with my RA. Thank you!

Those participants had an older version already installed, whose signing certificate had expired. They were then prompted to install version 6.5.2, the currently available version of the 6.5 branch. That's the version your experiment's start page hands out for new installs.

dantassone9382
dantassone9382
Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Dave,

Okay I see, thank you for your explanation! That's very helpful.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search