biopac port cannot be found with inquisit script

Author
ttyelnv
Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello, 

I hope all is well. I am trying to communicate with biopac using my inquisit 6 script. Unfortunately, even though I have the correct port address, which allowed my biopac to communicate well with matlab, inquisit reported that it could not find the port that I indicated in the code. Is there any way to resolve this issue? Are there other reasons that may cause the failed communication between biopac and inquisit? Thank you in advance for your help.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
nuttymenkk - 4/27/2023
Hello, 

I hope all is well. I am trying to communicate with biopac using my inquisit 6 script. Unfortunately, even though I have the correct port address, which allowed my biopac to communicate well with matlab, inquisit reported that it could not find the port that I indicated in the code. Is there any way to resolve this issue? Are there other reasons that may cause the failed communication between biopac and inquisit? Thank you in advance for your help.

I assume it's a parallel port, so you should specify the port's base address in the script's defaults per /lptaddresses. https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/language/attributes/lptaddresses.htm

Make sure both the port number and the base address are specifed correctly and you are referencing the correct port number in your <port> elements.

If the port is on an add-on card, note that on Macs only single.function cards are supported.
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/howto/howtoportmonitor.htm

Windows can be stingy with allowing access to low-level resources such as ports under restricted user accounts, so additionally try running Inquisit with elevated privileges when using the port (right-click the Inquisit icon, select "Run as administrator").

ttyelnv
ttyelnv
Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)
Hi Dave,
Thank you so much for your reply. I have entered the correct port's base address in the script, and have elevated privileges, but inquisit is still telling me that 'port address is not found on this machine'. Nevertheless, the same code works on a different laptop that is connected with another of my biopac device, after changing the corresponding port's base address. So I am very confused why inquisit does not work on this biopac..

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
nuttymenkk - 4/29/2023
Hi Dave,
Thank you so much for your reply. I have entered the correct port's base address in the script, and have elevated privileges, but inquisit is still telling me that 'port address is not found on this machine'. Nevertheless, the same code works on a different laptop that is connected with another of my biopac device, after changing the corresponding port's base address. So I am very confused why inquisit does not work on this biopac..

If Inquisit says there's no LPT port at that address, then it's most likely correct. Double-check the base address in the device manager or via System Information, and make sure your port elements are referencing the correct port number. Also make sure that the port in question is an actual parallel port. Finally, test the settings using the parallel port monitor:

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/current/html/howto/howtoportmonitor.htm

ttyelnv
ttyelnv
Problem solved! Inquisit 6 was not communicating with biopac because I was using an older version of Inquisit 6 (which was released in 2021), once I updated inquisit to the latest version, the communication problem was solved. Thank you so much again Dave!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search