Approach Avoidance Task (AAT) on Inquisit Web

Author
inquisituser22
Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
I am interested in transitioning my AAT that I used on Inquisit lab to Inquisit web to have participants do it by smartphone. However, I am not sure it will be feasible. We did this previously with a joystick, and when testing out the demo on Inquisit web on my phone, it didn't have the same feeling of pulling and pushing something away with moving your finger up and down for the mouse version demo. I am looking for any ideas of how we could implement this. I didn't find anything in the forums of anyone else who has tried it with Inquisit. Thank you!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
inquisituser22 - 6/5/2023
Hello,
I am interested in transitioning my AAT that I used on Inquisit lab to Inquisit web to have participants do it by smartphone. However, I am not sure it will be feasible. We did this previously with a joystick, and when testing out the demo on Inquisit web on my phone, it didn't have the same feeling of pulling and pushing something away with moving your finger up and down for the mouse version demo. I am looking for any ideas of how we could implement this. I didn't find anything in the forums of anyone else who has tried it with Inquisit. Thank you!

You can connect a game pad to a smart phone and use the game pad version, which is the closest you are going to get. Other than that, if the device (here: a smartphone) does not have any external thing (a mouse, a game pad) that you can physically move, I doubt there is any way to make feel things "the same" -- that's just the nature of the type of device you are targeting.
inquisituser22
inquisituser22
Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 6/5/2023
Hello,

You can connect a game pad to a smart phone and use the game pad version, which is the closest you are going to get. Other than that, if the device (here: a smartphone) does not have any external thing (a mouse, a game pad) that you can physically move, I doubt there is any way to make feel things "the same" -- that's just the nature of the type of device you are targeting.

Ok thank you - we have thought it over more and would be ok with using the mouse version without the game pad on Inquisit Web by smartphone, but we found (multiple staff members) it was full of error messages. I am not sure if that is because this is the Inquisit Lab version and so it is not the right dimensions for the smartphone? Has anyone else encountered this before? Thank you for any guidance about how we could use it on our phones.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
inquisituser22 - 6/9/2023
Dave - 6/5/2023
Hello,

Ok thank you - we have thought it over more and would be ok with using the mouse version without the game pad on Inquisit Web by smartphone, but we found (multiple staff members) it was full of error messages. I am not sure if that is because this is the Inquisit Lab version and so it is not the right dimensions for the smartphone? Has anyone else encountered this before? Thank you for any guidance about how we could use it on our phones.

There is no such thing as a "Lab" version. The script you run in Inquisit Lab is the exact same you run in Inquisit Web on your smartphone.

And if you want to know what if anybody has encountered this before, you need to explain what "this" is. So:

What are the precise error messages? What exactly did you run, give the link.
Dave
Dave
Dave - 6/9/2023
inquisituser22 - 6/9/2023
Dave - 6/5/2023
Hello,

There is no such thing as a "Lab" version. The script you run in Inquisit Lab is the exact same you run in Inquisit Web on your smartphone.

And if you want to know what if anybody has encountered this before, you need to explain what "this" is. So:

What are the precise error messages? What exactly did you run, give the link.

Separate and apart from any errors (again, please tell me the precise errors; I've run the AAT on smartphones countless times and I'm not getting any errors), there are a couple of things I would do in your stead if I were to target touch devices with relatively small screens, just to get the maximum possible out of that (and to be clear, it'll still have limitatoins):

(1) Move the center stimulus (red X) to the right side of the screen and make it larger.
(2) Put an arrow or a simple rectangular shape spanning the entire screen vertically in that same position, to visually guide the participant's finger movement.
(3) Change the way instructions are displayed, i.e. do not use <page> or <htmlpage> elements, but regular trials. That will free up the screen estate that would otherwise be reserved for the on-screen navigation buttons on instruction pages.

The combined effect of these measures is to get the to-be-approached or avoided stimulus the largest amount of screen estate possible and get the participant's finger out of the way. The zoom in / out effect still won't be as impressive as it would be on a larger screen, but that comes with smartphone territory.

Here's a rough sketch of that: https://mili2nd.co/k7cc

I've not reworked the way instructions are displayed, so they're disabled entirely for the purpose of the demonstration.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search