Extract data from url link

Author
wuaham
Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello good afternoon:

I am developing an experiment (in Inquisit 6) that will run after completion of a Survey in Qualtrics. Qualtrics will pass me some parameters via URL link. I can extract "subjectid" (Settings->Participant ids) from the link and it works fine. How can I extract the values of other parameters from the link (for example, Qualtrics passed ?subjectid=123&gender="Male"&some_code="abcd" via the URL, how can I catch all these values in Inquisit please)?

I noticed that Inquisit can redirect (via Settings->Finished page) multiple parameters to third party survey, can Inquisit receive/extract multiple parameters values?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
wuaham - 7/6/2023
Hello good afternoon:

I am developing an experiment (in Inquisit 6) that will run after completion of a Survey in Qualtrics. Qualtrics will pass me some parameters via URL link. I can extract "subjectid" (Settings->Participant ids) from the link and it works fine. How can I extract the values of other parameters from the link (for example, Qualtrics passed ?subjectid=123&gender="Male"&some_code="abcd" via the URL, how can I catch all these values in Inquisit please)?

I noticed that Inquisit can redirect (via Settings->Finished page) multiple parameters to third party survey, can Inquisit receive/extract multiple parameters values?

Thanks

An Inquisit script can learn of at most three URL parameters:
- One used as the subject ID.
- One used as the group number.
- One used as the session number.

A script has no way of accessing or learning about any other URL parameters.

The full URL parameter string will, however, be captured in the participant logs, assuming you have that logging enabled in your web experiment's settings.

wuaham
wuaham
Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)Respected Member (419 reputation)
Dave - 7/6/2023
wuaham - 7/6/2023
Hello good afternoon:

Thanks

The full URL parameter string will, however, be captured in the participant logs, assuming you have that logging enabled in your web experiment's settings.

Thank you very much - Dave. You are a star! I believe three parameters via url would be fine (or will bundle them in Qualtrics). I will explore on how to access Participants log (logging is enabled in web) or save this information into Inquisit data (just for checking).
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
wuaham - 7/6/2023
Dave - 7/6/2023
wuaham - 7/6/2023
Hello good afternoon:

Thanks

Thank you very much - Dave. You are a star! I believe three parameters via url would be fine (or will bundle them in Qualtrics). I will explore on how to access Participants log (logging is enabled in web) or save this information into Inquisit data (just for checking).

Participant logs are available under "Logs" in your account

or you can go to the relevant logs directly via the respective experiment's Actions menu.

Download the logs as CSV via

(Either of the two files will work, the "All Events" file contains more details.)

There's a column called LaunchQuery in those files, which should hold the full query string.

wuaham
wuaham
Dave - 7/6/2023
wuaham - 7/6/2023
Dave - 7/6/2023
wuaham - 7/6/2023
Hello good afternoon:

Thanks

Participant logs are available under "Logs" in your account

or you can go to the relevant logs directly via the respective experiment's Actions menu.

Download the logs as CSV via

(Either of the two files will work, the "All Events" file contains more details.)

There's a column called LaunchQuery in those files, which should hold the full query string.

Thank you very much - that's really helpful. 
Liz Shulman
Liz Shulman
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Dave - 7/6/2023
wuaham - 7/6/2023
Hello good afternoon:

Thanks

Follow up to this...
I am sending participants from Qualtrics to Inquisit as well and plan to capture the subjectid from the URL. Like the OP, I have a bunch of other data fields I want to carry through from qualtrics. If those fields are included in the URL, will they cause problems or just be ignored (as long as they aren't called groupid or sessionid)? And is there any way to pass those URL parameters back to the second Qualtrics survey at the end of the Inquisit session?
Thanks!
Dave
Dave
Liz Shulman - 2/20/2024
Dave - 7/6/2023
wuaham - 7/6/2023
Hello good afternoon:

Thanks

Follow up to this...
I am sending participants from Qualtrics to Inquisit as well and plan to capture the subjectid from the URL. Like the OP, I have a bunch of other data fields I want to carry through from qualtrics. If those fields are included in the URL, will they cause problems or just be ignored (as long as they aren't called groupid or sessionid)? And is there any way to pass those URL parameters back to the second Qualtrics survey at the end of the Inquisit session?
Thanks!

You can pass as many URL parameters as you want. All of them will be automatically preserved and appended to the redirection URL you specified.
Liz Shulman
Liz Shulman
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Dave - 2/20/2024
Liz Shulman - 2/20/2024
Dave - 7/6/2023
wuaham - 7/6/2023
Hello good afternoon:

Thanks

Follow up to this...
Thanks!

You can pass as many URL parameters as you want. All of them will be automatically preserved and appended to the redirection URL you specified.

Hi Dave,
I have tested this and the "extra" URL parameters do not appear to be passed along to Qualtrics. Am I missing a command? Am I supposed to append something onto the default finishpage URL? 

Here is what is supposed to be appended to the URL:
?subjectid=BANANATOSS&workerId=CATCH22&hitId=MISS11&assignmentId=99

Here is my batch file:

<batch>
/ file = "start.iqx"
/ file = "myfile1.iqx"
/ file = "myfile2.iqx"
/ file = "myfile3.iqx"
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
/ onscriptend = [defaults.finishpage = "https://redirectURLtoqualtrics.com"]
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "start.iqx"
/ file = "myfile3.iqx"
/ file = "myfile2.iqx"
/ file = "myfile1.iqx"
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

<defaults>
/ finishpage = "https://redirectURLtoqualtrics.com"
</defaults>

Dave
Dave
Liz Shulman - 3/1/2024
Dave - 2/20/2024
Liz Shulman - 2/20/2024
Dave - 7/6/2023
wuaham - 7/6/2023
Hello good afternoon:

Thanks

Follow up to this...
Thanks!

Hi Dave,
I have tested this and the "extra" URL parameters do not appear to be passed along to Qualtrics. Am I missing a command? Am I supposed to append something onto the default finishpage URL? 

Here is what is supposed to be appended to the URL:
?subjectid=BANANATOSS&workerId=CATCH22&hitId=MISS11&assignmentId=99

Here is my batch file:

<batch>
/ file = "start.iqx"
/ file = "myfile1.iqx"
/ file = "myfile2.iqx"
/ file = "myfile3.iqx"
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ file = "start.iqx"
/ file = "myfile3.iqx"
/ file = "myfile2.iqx"
/ file = "myfile1.iqx"
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

<defaults>
/ finishpage = "https://redirectURLtoqualtrics.com"
</defaults>

Povide the link to the actual web experiment.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search