randomizing which stimuli appear during a block

Author
nc
Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I have 8 sets of pictures, and I want each of them to appear randomly in each of 8 blocks (no replacement). I did something like this (note: code not exact, because I am not currently able to access the script), but it doesn't seem to be working. Would you be able to advise?

<list stimuli>
/items = (picture.1, picture.2. picture.3., picture.4, picture.5, picture.6, picture.7, picture.8)
/selectionrate = block
/replace = false
</list>

<block test>
/trials = [1=trial, 2 = trial2]
/bgstim = stimulus1, stimulus2, stimulus3, list.stimuli
</block>
I know the above isn't quite right, but what I'm trying to do is include a randomly selected picture from the list as background stimuli within that block. I'm also trying to make sure that no picture appears more than once across 8 different blocks.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
nc - 7/7/2023
Hi,
I have 8 sets of pictures, and I want each of them to appear randomly in each of 8 blocks (no replacement). I did something like this (note: code not exact, because I am not currently able to access the script), but it doesn't seem to be working. Would you be able to advise?

<list stimuli>
/items = (picture.1, picture.2. picture.3., picture.4, picture.5, picture.6, picture.7, picture.8)
/selectionrate = block
/replace = false
</list>

<block test>
/trials = [1=trial, 2 = trial2]
/bgstim = stimulus1, stimulus2, stimulus3, list.stimuli
</block>
I know the above isn't quite right, but what I'm trying to do is include a randomly selected picture from the list as background stimuli within that block. I'm also trying to make sure that no picture appears more than once across 8 different blocks.

You don't want a list. You want a <picture> element with eight items, set to random selection without replacement and /selectionrate set to block. I.e.

<picture bgpic>
/ items = bgpicitems
/ select = noreplace
/ selectionrate = block
</picture>

<item bgpicitems>
/ 1 = "01.jpg"
/ 1 = "02.jpg"
/ 1 = "03.jpg"
/ 1 = "04.jpg"
/ 1 = "05.jpg"
/ 1 = "06.jpg"