Show an image if a condition is satsfied

Author
sbashyam
Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

Thanks, I have the files now.

Help me understand:

- The "white rectangle" is supposed to be displayed when and where exactly?
- The screen color throughout the task is white, so how is one supposed to notice the presence of the "white rectangle"?
- You have files called rec1.png to rec8.png included in the folder you shared, but these aren't used anywhere in the script. What are they for?
- What, if anything, are participants supposed to do with the "white rectangle"?

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Dave - 7/24/2023

Help me understand:

- The screen color throughout the task is white, so how is one supposed to notice the presence of the "white rectangle"?
- You have files called rec1.png to rec8.png included in the folder you shared, but these aren't used anywhere in the script. What are they for?
- What, if anything, are participants supposed to do with the "white rectangle"?

To add: What is the purpose of the "activity_alone" picture element, as opposed to the "activity_group" picture?

There are no comments at all throughout your code, nor are there instructions, so it's impossible to determine what it is intended to do.

sbashyam
sbashyam
Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)Associate Member (281 reputation)
Dave - 7/24/2023
Dave - 7/24/2023

Help me understand:

To add: What is the purpose of the "activity_alone" picture element, as opposed to the "activity_group" picture?

There are no comments at all throughout your code, nor are there instructions, so it's impossible to determine what it is intended to do.
Whenever the cupckaes or airplane stimuli is displayed, I need the white rectangle to cover the boy on the right or the left.
The purpose is to ensure that there are only two boys on the screen as opposed to white
Those files were meant to be used in another version of the experiment, but we don't need them anymore
Activity alone vs activity group is from a previous version of the experiment, not of use now.

I basically need to show just two boys for the stimuli "cupcakes" and "airplanes". I thought covering the third boy who shows up by default was the only way. 

Dave
Dave
sbashyam - 7/24/2023
Dave - 7/24/2023
Dave - 7/24/2023

Help me understand:

Whenever the cupckaes or airplane stimuli is displayed, I need the white rectangle to cover the boy on the right or the left.
The purpose is to ensure that there are only two boys on the screen as opposed to white
Those files were meant to be used in another version of the experiment, but we don't need them anymore
Activity alone vs activity group is from a previous version of the experiment, not of use now.

I basically need to show just two boys for the stimuli "cupcakes" and "airplanes". I thought covering the third boy who shows up by default was the only way. 

> Whenever the cupckaes or airplane stimuli is displayed, I need the white rectangle to cover the boy on the right or the left.

Like what? Always the one on the left or always the one on the right or is this supposed to be randomly determined somehow?
sbashyam
sbashyam
Randomly determined

Dave
Dave
sbashyam - 7/24/2023
Randomly determined

Attached a runnable example of how you need to set up the blocks, trials, and stimulus elements to make this work. This just runs the test1_boys block eight times, so you can see what happens when either cupcakes or airplanes are the selected activity. You'll have to change the other blocks etc. in the script accordingly.
Attachments
experiment.iqx (66 views, 5.00 KB)
sbashyam
sbashyam
Thank you! Could you help me out by also making sure that when the cupcakes or airplane stimuli appear, both boys that are presented on the screen have two different colour over their head? Right now it shows one with one coloured circle and the other with two different coulour circles

Dave
Dave
sbashyam - 7/25/2023
Thank you! Could you help me out by also making sure that when the cupcakes or airplane stimuli appear, both boys that are presented on the screen have two different colour over their head? Right now it shows one with one coloured circle and the other with two different coulour circles

What? I'm sorry, but you're not very clear regarding what you want. What is "[r]ight now it shows one with one coloured circle and the other with two different coulour circles" supposed to mean? That's not even correct; it depends on whether the left boy or the right boy is not shown. And what is "two different colour over their head" supposed to mean? In your script, as it exists, the colors aren't different. Left boy has a single blue circle, middle & right boy have a green & blue circle each.

Edited Last Year by Dave
sbashyam
sbashyam
My apologies if I am being unclear, but this is my first time seeking help online on the forum so please bear with me. I meant to say that I want to ensure that the two boys that remain (after the white rectangle covers the third one), each have two circles of different colours (just as you mentioned, one green and one blue). I appreciate your help and prompt responses but I am also learning on how to use this software.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search