Randomize the order of trials

Author
ttyelnv
Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Dave,

I am wondering if I can randomize the order of several trials with the list function?
In my experiment, every trial contains a movie file, as well as two markers for the movie (one for the recording with biopac, and another for the recording with eyetracker).
I have eight movie trials in total, and I'd love to randomize the order of presentation of each movie in the experiment. I also want to have a fixation cross between the transition of each movie trial.
At the moment, I have created a list attribute containing all movie trials:

<list movielist>
/items = (trial.movie1, trial.movie2, trial.movie3, trial.movie4, trial.movie5, trial.movie6, trial.movie7, trial.movie8)
/selectionmode=random
/replace = false
</list>

If I create the following block, will inquisit randomize the order of movie trials without replacement? If not, is there a way to achieve randomization in this case? I have thought about using the item attribute, but I do need the markers for each movie file. Therefore, the item attribute is not suitable in this case. Thank you in advance for your help!

<block experiment>
/trials= [1=trial.fixation; 2= list.movielist; 3= trial.fixation; 4=list.movielist; 5 = trial.fixation; 6 = list.movielist;
7=trial.fixation; 8=list.movielist; 9 = trial.fixation; 10=list.movielist; 11= trial.fixation; 12= list.movielist;
13 = trial.fixation; 14 = list.movielist; 15= trial.fixation; 16 = list.movielist]
</block>
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
nuttymenkk - 8/22/2023
Hi Dave,

I am wondering if I can randomize the order of several trials with the list function?
In my experiment, every trial contains a movie file, as well as two markers for the movie (one for the recording with biopac, and another for the recording with eyetracker).
I have eight movie trials in total, and I'd love to randomize the order of presentation of each movie in the experiment. I also want to have a fixation cross between the transition of each movie trial.
At the moment, I have created a list attribute containing all movie trials:

<list movielist>
/items = (trial.movie1, trial.movie2, trial.movie3, trial.movie4, trial.movie5, trial.movie6, trial.movie7, trial.movie8)
/selectionmode=random
/replace = false
</list>

If I create the following block, will inquisit randomize the order of movie trials without replacement? If not, is there a way to achieve randomization in this case? I have thought about using the item attribute, but I do need the markers for each movie file. Therefore, the item attribute is not suitable in this case. Thank you in advance for your help!

<block experiment>
/trials= [1=trial.fixation; 2= list.movielist; 3= trial.fixation; 4=list.movielist; 5 = trial.fixation; 6 = list.movielist;
7=trial.fixation; 8=list.movielist; 9 = trial.fixation; 10=list.movielist; 11= trial.fixation; 12= list.movielist;
13 = trial.fixation; 14 = list.movielist; 15= trial.fixation; 16 = list.movielist]
</block>

You can do this and it'll do what you want,but you don't even need any <list>. You can simply state your block's /trials as:

<block experiment>
/ trials = [
    1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15 = trial.fixation;
    2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16 = noreplace(trial.movie1, trial.movie2, trial.movie3, trial.movie4, trial.movie5, trial.movie6, trial.movie7, trial.movie8);
]
</block>

ttyelnv
ttyelnv
Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)Associate Member (256 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thank you so much Dave!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search