OSPAN task glitches

Author
LSResearcher
Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Greetings all, I am using the Inquisit OSPAN task in a lab study and it generally works fine, but on occasion we have a case where the task does not run normally.  Specifically:

1) there is no field for the participant to indicate the answers.
2) And it automatically proceeds to the next question too quickly (not the actual time allocated)

Here is a clip of that glitch:
https://youtube.com/shorts/ukmsMjxPamY?feature=share

It is very odd because it happens rarely, and it's not consistent.  If we run another participant on the same task an hour later on the same computer, there is no problem.  I have also seen this happen on completely different computer models in different labs. 

Any idea why this might happen?  Thanks for any help!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
LSResearcher - 9/8/2023
Greetings all, I am using the Inquisit OSPAN task in a lab study and it generally works fine, but on occasion we have a case where the task does not run normally.  Specifically:

2) And it automatically proceeds to the next question too quickly (not the actual time allocated)

It is very odd because it happens rarely, and it's not consistent.  If we run another participant on the same task an hour later on the same computer, there is no problem.  I have also seen this happen on completely different computer models in different labs. 

In the test phase, the time available for the math problems is determined by the performance on the math problems in the preceeding practice phase -- the faster you work through the practice math problems, the less time you'll get for the math problems in the test phase.

If you skip over the math practice phase or just click through it very quickly, this can result in exactly what the video depicts -- you get very little (or effectively no) time to actually solve the test math problems. That would be my guess regarding what's going on here.

Edited 7 Months Ago by Dave
LSResearcher
LSResearcher
Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)Associate Member (80 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 9/8/2023
LSResearcher - 9/8/2023

In the test phase, the time available for the math problems is determined by the performance on the math problems in the preceeding practice phase. If you skip over the math practice phase or just click through it very quickly, this can result in exactly what the video depicts. That would be me guess regarding what's going on here.

Thanks very much!  That makes sense.  The first time it happened was when a participant was clicking through very very quickly, and this time I think was also under those circumstances.  Thanks again!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search