Participant receiving network error

Author
CraigM
Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Dave and Sean.

We have an Inquisit Web experiment that has been running fine for several months, but one participant is receiving an error and is unable to begin the experiment. The error message in my log is:

Network Error: 'Host scripts.millisecond.com not found' in bool __cdecl inquisit::Path::loadFileHttp(class QByteArray &,const class QString &,const class QString &,const class QString &,int,bool)

From that message, this obviously sounds like a problem with the participant's network. They told me they have tried Chrome, Firefox, and Edge on two different computers, and they have disabled their ad blocker. They were able to install the Inquisit Player just fine. Their network appears to be working normally for them, but the experiment won't run. The experiment still works fine for me on multiple computers.

Is this something that you think either I can fix or I can help them troubleshoot, or is it just kind of out of our hands?

Best wishes.

~Craig
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
CraigM - 3/24/2024
Hi Dave and Sean.

We have an Inquisit Web experiment that has been running fine for several months, but one participant is receiving an error and is unable to begin the experiment. The error message in my log is:

Network Error: 'Host scripts.millisecond.com not found' in bool __cdecl inquisit::Path::loadFileHttp(class QByteArray &,const class QString &,const class QString &,const class QString &,int,bool)

From that message, this obviously sounds like a problem with the participant's network. They told me they have tried Chrome, Firefox, and Edge on two different computers, and they have disabled their ad blocker. They were able to install the Inquisit Player just fine. Their network appears to be working normally for them, but the experiment won't run. The experiment still works fine for me on multiple computers.

Is this something that you think either I can fix or I can help them troubleshoot, or is it just kind of out of our hands?

Best wishes.

~Craig

That is out of your and our hands. Definitely some kind of issue with the participant's network, the "host not found" error suggests a DNS problem. At a guess, a perimeter firewall is blocking the Inquisit Player app's DNS and other requests.
CraigM
CraigM
Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)Partner Member (524 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 3/25/2024
CraigM - 3/24/2024
Hi Dave and Sean.

Best wishes.

~Craig

That is out of your and our hands. Definitely some kind of issue with the participant's network, the "host not found" error suggests a DNS problem. At a guess, a perimeter firewall is blocking the Inquisit Player app's DNS and other requests.

Thanks for your reply, Dave. I will communicate this to the participant.

Best wishes.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search