Registration question

Author
USYDPSYCH
Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I installed Inquisit Lab 6.6.1 on a Windows 7 computer using an administrative account.  I was prompted to register the software which appeared to be successful as shown in the screenshot 

On the same computer I logged on using a different, non-administrative account and was prompted to register the software again.

Is this expected behaviour?  Does every user on the computer have to register the software for themselves?  I assumed the registration was for the computer and not the user.
-Chris 
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
USYDPSYCH - 5/29/2024
I installed Inquisit Lab 6.6.1 on a Windows 7 computer using an administrative account.  I was prompted to register the software which appeared to be successful as shown in the screenshot 

On the same computer I logged on using a different, non-administrative account and was prompted to register the software again.

Is this expected behaviour?  Does every user on the computer have to register the software for themselves?  I assumed the registration was for the computer and not the user.
-Chris 

If you want the installation to be registered for all accounts on the system, you not only need to install and register it while logged in as local administrator, you also need to run the application with elevated privileges (right-click the icon, select "Run as adminstrator" from the context menu) during the registration process. If you don't do that, the registration information can only be stored in the currently logged in user's registry hive (HKEY CURRENT USER), which is not accessible to other user accounts on the same system. Windows treats administrator accounts in exactly the same way, they are no different than normal user accounts in that regard. Only when you run with elevated privileges can the registration information be stored in the system-wide registry hive (HKEY LOCAL MACHINE), which is accessible to all user accounts on the system.

Unrelatedly: Please note that that minimum requirement for Inquisit 6 is Windows 10. Windows 7 is not officially supported.

USYDPSYCH
USYDPSYCH
Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)Associate Member (99 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 5/29/2024
USYDPSYCH - 5/29/2024

-Chris 

If you want the installation to be registered for all accounts on the system, you not only need to install and register it while logged in as local administrator, you also need to run the application with elevated privileges (right-click the icon, select "Run as adminstrator" from the context menu) during the registration process. If you don't do that, the registration information can only be stored in the currently logged in user's registry hive (HKEY CURRENT USER), which is not accessible to other user accounts on the same system. Windows treats administrator accounts in exactly the same way, they are no different than normal user accounts in that regard. Only when you run with elevated privileges can the registration information be stored in the system-wide registry hive (HKEY LOCAL MACHINE), which is accessible to all user accounts on the system.

Unrelatedly: Please note that that minimum requirement for Inquisit 6 is Windows 10. Windows 7 is not officially supported.

Thanks for the explanation. 
In case anyone else is looking for the registry keys mentioned above they are HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Millisecond\Inquisit\6\Registration and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Millisecond\Inquisit\6\Registration
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search