Same Computer (andRegistration) Key on multiple computers

Author
Markus Jansen
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I am experiencing a strange behavior considering the registration process. I got multiple new laptops, installed Inquisit 6 on each and tried to register Inquisit. However, for each of the laptops I get the exact same computer key and the exact same registration key. Inquisit tells me, the registration was successful, however, every once in a short while, it needs a verification. Also, if I check the registration online, the laptops are not registered.

I did not find anything in the forum, maybe someone knows what’s off and can help?
Markus

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Markus Jansen - 5/29/2024
Hi,

I am experiencing a strange behavior considering the registration process. I got multiple new laptops, installed Inquisit 6 on each and tried to register Inquisit. However, for each of the laptops I get the exact same computer key and the exact same registration key. Inquisit tells me, the registration was successful, however, every once in a short while, it needs a verification. Also, if I check the registration online, the laptops are not registered.

I did not find anything in the forum, maybe someone knows what’s off and can help?
Markus

Any software on the system that prevents permanent changes to the Windows registry? Anti-virus / anti-malware software or anything like Deep Freeze can cause something like this. Try temporarily disabling any such software, make sure you install while logged in as local admnistrator and run with elevated privileges during the registration process (right-click the Inquisit icon, select "Run as administrator").
Markus Jansen
Markus Jansen
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Dave - 5/29/2024
Hi,

Markus

Any software on the system that prevents permanent changes to the Windows registry? Anti-virus / anti-malware software or anything like Deep Freeze can cause something like this. Try temporarily disabling any such software, make sure you install while logged in as local admnistrator and run with elevated privileges during the registration process (right-click the Inquisit icon, select "Run as administrator").
There are no such software installed, it is clean windows with a browser and Inquisit. All installation and registration was done under local administrator account. We use Inquisit quite a lot, but this never happended. What confuses us is, that the computer key is the same on all the new machienes, and it is also the same with one other computer registered. However, this other PC has nothing to do with the new laptops. Has anything like that happened before?

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Markus Jansen - 5/31/2024
Dave - 5/29/2024
Hi,

Markus

There are no such software installed, it is clean windows with a browser and Inquisit. All installation and registration was done under local administrator account. We use Inquisit quite a lot, but this never happended. What confuses us is, that the computer key is the same on all the new machienes, and it is also the same with one other computer registered. However, this other PC has nothing to do with the new laptops. Has anything like that happened before?

Never seen any such thing, the only vaguely similar instances involved 3rd party software blocking or reverting changes to the Windows registry.

You wrote: "[...] the registration was successful, however, every once in a short while, it needs a verification."

What's the exact message re. needing verification? Can you provide a screenshot?
Markus Jansen
Markus Jansen
Dave - 5/31/2024
Dave - 5/29/2024
Hi,

Markus

Never seen any such thing, the only vaguely similar instances involved 3rd party software blocking or reverting changes to the Windows registry.

You wrote: "[...] the registration was successful, however, every once in a short while, it needs a verification."

What's the exact message re. needing verification? Can you provide a screenshot?

There is no message, when opening Inquisit the registration window opens and demands a registration key. Is there any way you can tell me how the computer keys are generated? This seems to be important, as all these laptops have the same..

Dave
Dave
Dave - 5/31/2024
Dave - 5/29/2024
Hi,

Markus

There is no message, when opening Inquisit the registration window opens and demands a registration key. Is there any way you can tell me how the computer keys are generated? This seems to be important, as all these laptops have the same..

It's odd that the computer keys are all indentical, but this shouldn't ultimately affect the ability to register the computers.

"[....] when opening Inquisit the registration window opens and demands a registration key."

The registration key is stored in the Windows registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Millisecond\Inquisit\6 in a REG_BINARY value called Registration if you've registered while running with elevated privileges. Otherwise it's under the registry hive of the user that was logged in when you registered (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Millisecond\Inquisit\6).

If that registry key isn't there or Inquisit isn't allowed to read it, the registration window will pop up.

So, double-check that the value exists after registering, double-check the permissions, and ensure that no other app or group / domain policy (if the computers are part of a network group or domain) is regularly purging the registry or reverting it to some default state.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search