sign of D score

Author
adkatz2
Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Thanks
in advance for helping me with this question.  I'm embarrassed to say 
that I'm having trouble interpreting the D-score based on my reading of
Greenwald's SPSS scoring syntax, so I want to check my understanding. 
His syntax says that:

". . . high scores indicate stronger association of 'attribute_left_label'
with 'TARGET_2_LABEL' than 'attribute_right_label' with 'TARGET_2_LABEL.'"

I used the racial attitudes IAT program provided by Greenwald at his website in my data collection, but I can't determine how these instructions correlate with "attribute_right_label" and "TARGET_2_LABEL."  If I'm reading the literature correctly, however, it would appear that higher D-scores demonstrate a preference for compatible over incompatible associations--is this correct?  So, since "White" is typically associated with "pleasant" for most White Americans--and is therefore compatible--a higher D-score for a White participant would indicate greater compatible associations (higher pro-White bias and greater automatic prejudice toward Blacks).  On the other hand, White Americans with lower automatic prejudice toward Blacks (or Blacks with pro-Black bias) might have low or even negative D-scores.

I think I ran the scoring syntax correctly, but I have a mix of negative and positive scores, so I want to make sure I understand who is who.  I hope this question is clear--Thanks!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

His syntax says that:

". . .

Normal

false
false
false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

high scores indicate stronger association of 'attribute_left_label'
with 'TARGET_2_LABEL' than 'attribute_right_label' with 'TARGET_2_LABEL.'"

Interpretation will obviously depend on which actual concepts attribute_left_label and target_2_label, etc. represent in your actual script. Just look it up! E.g. does target_2_label mean "white" in your script? Or is it "black"? And so forth...

If I'm reading the literature correctly, however, it would appear that higher D-scores demonstrate a preference for compatible over incompatible associations--is this correct?  So, since "White" is typically associated with "pleasant" for most White Americans--and is therefore compatible--a higher D-score for a White participant would indicate greater compatible associations (higher pro-White bias and greater automatic prejudice toward Blacks).  On the other hand, White Americans with lower automatic prejudice toward Blacks (or Blacks with pro-Black bias) might have low or even negative D-scores.

Yes, that is correct.

Regards,

~Dave

adkatz2
adkatz2
Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Thanks for confirming my intuition.

I tried looking it up, but I was thrown by "TARGET_2_LABEL."  I mean, I can figure out that "attribute_right_label" is "pleasant" in the race IAT, because it is always positioned on the right and only the "Black" and "White" labels shift around.  But I couldn't find anywhere in the experiment file where the targets are numbered 1 or 2. . . .

In any case, I think I know what happened and hopefully the data scoring will be simple to finish.  Take care!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search