Analyzing Stroop Data?

Author
May
Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hello,

I have a database of Stroop data that I am not sure how to analyze/ interpret. What I am looking for (I believe) are the differences in average latency between the congruent and incongruent trials. Here is a snapshot of what the variables in the database look like: 

subject   trialcode            stimulusitem1    trialnum     latency   correct     congruentlatency   incongruentlatency

1             bluecongruent       blue                  3                 1520       1                1520                        0

1             redincongruent     green                4                 2425       1                1520                       2425

1             blueincongruent   red                     5                 2543       1                1520                       2484

From my understanding, the congruentlatency and incongruentlatency compute average latency response times for the congruent and incongruent trials using the latency response times. For each subject, the last entries for the congruentlatency and incongruentlatency columns represent the subject's  average latency times for the congruent and incongruent trials for the entire task. I've tried taking this difference for each subject, and running some analyses, but I believe this is not the appropriate method to analyze this data. Any suggestions on how to analyze this for what I'm looking for (please see above)?

Thanks in advance! 

Tags
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

From my understanding, the congruentlatency and incongruentlatency compute average latency response times for the congruent and incongruent trials using the latency response times. For each subject, the last entries for the congruentlatency and incongruentlatency columns represent the subject's  average latency times for the congruent and incongruent trials for the entire task

Your understanding is correct (as can easily be seen even from the bit of example data you posted).

Any suggestions on how to analyze this for what I'm looking for (please see above)?

For common analysis strategies I recommend you consult the relevant Stroop research literature. One might either compare the respective means using a t-test or an ANOVA-type analysis. For a general introduction to RT data preparation and analysis, see e.g. Lacroix & Giguere (2006).

Regards,

~Dave

May
May
Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)Partner Member (638 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have consulted some relevant Stroop research literature, and most appear to use mean response times. With that said, can you be a little more specific about:

1. what you mean by the average response times (i.e. average response time for all congruent vs incongruent trials or average difference response time for      all congruent vs incongruent trials)

Thanks, again. 

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

As far as I can see, your questions are concerned with general aspects of research methodology, data analysis and interpretation and are as such unrelated to Inquisit. Suitable analysis strategies profoundly depend on the overall design of your study (which independent variables were manipulated, was there a baseline, neutral condition, etc.) and consequently on what you can and want to know / learn from your data (given the design). There are no generally applicable answers to these questions. Thus all I can do is repeat my previous advice: Consult the relevant literature to arrive at an informed decision / strategy.

Best regards,

~Dave

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search